Image Map Image Map

Thread: TurboRom KayPlus Rom issues

Default TurboRom KayPlus Rom issues

Reading through both the TurboRom and Kayplus manuals I have concretely identified my Kaypro as a 4/84 with a universal board. The problem I'm having is when I replace the 81-292 with a TurboRom or Kayplus EPROM it doesn't boot. I don't get the beep and nothing appears on the screen. The first TurboRom I had was burned by someone else for me. Recently I got a Needham PB10 and put it in a 486. It is working great. I've been able to burn both ROM files and verify them. But same issue when I put them into the Kaypro. Nada! One EPROM I have is an Intel D2764-4, the other three I have are Intel D2764A. They're both 28 pin with the former being 21v and the latter 12.5v. My programming software (EMP) has them in its selection list and shows the right voltage. And like I said I can confirm they are identical to the ROM files once programmed.

When I put the original 81-292 back in the Kaypro works fine. It doesn't have any quirks or issues. I tried using compressed air in a can to blow the U34 socket in case the pin sockets that aren't used by the 81-292 were dusty but it didn't help.

I'm out of ideas.

Try having www.hobbyroms.com create your 2764. The have prograde Gear and did 2 roms for 35 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by jjandersoj View Post
    Try having www.hobbyroms.com create your 2764. The have prograde Gear and did 2 roms for 35 shipped.
    While not a bad idea, I essentially did that. The first rom I had done by Glitch (http://www.glitchwrks.com/services.html) who's not new to this and offers a similar service to www.hobbyroms.com