Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VGA text mode alignment

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    Ah... the problems of displays without hardware controls for screen size and position. Just use a real computer monitor preferably a CRT (or at least a 4:3 LCD) for DOS.
    I don't really have the space for a proper CRT, and I must confess I rather like using this vintage machine on a modern huge screen (playing Mattel's Night Stalker on a 65" is rather satisfying )

Edit: I also have an Olivetti M24 with its original monochrome monitor for a proper period-accurate experience.
    Last edited by Valerio; July 2nd, 2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: M24!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valerio View Post
    Do you know if the startech unit supports 720x400@70Hz (it's not listed among the supported resolutions on their website)?
    Indeed, that is its bread and butter, as that is VGA text mode when DOS boots. But it will drop 1 frame every 7 to fit 70Hz to 59.94Hz (there's no option to blend frames across time or anything; for that, you'd need an old broadcast scan converter like the Sony DSC-1024, although blending across time is a different set of problems).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Scitech Display Doctor 5.3 is supposed to contain a utility called "UniCenter", which I presume is used for centering the screen in DOS, at least according to the documentation. That might also be worth looking into.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT