Image Map Image Map

Thread: Kaypro 10 ROM 81-188 disks

Default Kaypro 10 ROM 81-188 disks

I have a Kaypro 10 with ROM version 81-188. The hard drive is dead so I need to replace it but I need floppies. I looked in the Maslin archive and there's not a set for 81-188. Does anyone know what set will work?

The information I have says that CP/M 2.2H will work with 81-188, as well as 81-277 and others - except Universal ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    The information I have says that CP/M 2.2H will work with 81-188, as well as 81-277 and others - except Universal ROM.
    Thanks!

I jumpered a good ST251-1 as drive 1 (numbering 0-3) and tried to format. I get a message that the drive isn't ready and it's waiting 1 minute. It doesn't clear.

The drive is good and I can hear it spin up.

Any ideas? There's a message from FORMAT (renamed from FORMAT.MOC in user 13) that it's for a new interface board. I know there are two different interface boards and a search shows that the 81-188 ROM used the old interface board. Do I need a different FORMAT?

I've only heard of the one WD1002-05/HDO controller, but am not intimately familiar with Kaypro 10s. The actual formatting is done by the controller, not any Kaypro program, so as long as the old and new controllers support the same command set they would be compatible. I'm not sure if the ROM contains the code to format, or if it is FORMAT.COM (basically just issue FORMAT commands for every track).

I thought the only drive used by Kaypro was the ST412. But I guess as long as the number of cylinders and heads are both greater or equal to the ST412 it might work. But there may be other drive parameters that don't match (write pre-comp, etc). I can't speak to the interface pin-out or protocol, but I think they are fairly standard. One thing that came to mind as I glanced at the ST251 manual was that it's drive jumpers were labeled DS1, DS2, DS3, DS4. Normal drive LUNs are number 0, 1, 2, 3. Kaypro 10 requires LUN 1 - i.e. the *second* drive. Make certain you've got the correct jumpering.

Quote Originally Posted by durgadas311 View Post
    I've only heard of the one WD1002-05/HDO controller, but am not intimately familiar with Kaypro 10s. The actual formatting is done by the controller, not any Kaypro program, so as long as the old and new controllers support the same command set they would be compatible. I'm not sure if the ROM contains the code to format, or if it is FORMAT.COM (basically just issue FORMAT commands for every track).

I thought the only drive used by Kaypro was the ST412. But I guess as long as the number of cylinders and heads are both greater or equal to the ST412 it might work. But there may be other drive parameters that don't match (write pre-comp, etc). I can't speak to the interface pin-out or protocol, but I think they are fairly standard. One thing that came to mind as I glanced at the ST251 manual was that it's drive jumpers were labeled DS1, DS2, DS3, DS4. Normal drive LUNs are number 0, 1, 2, 3. Kaypro 10 requires LUN 1 - i.e. the *second* drive. Make certain you've got the correct jumpering.
    Yes, I have the correct drive jumper.

The interface board sits between the motherboard and WD1002 board.

I'm not sure what is different between the two interface boards, I've never found a schematic for one. But it seems like there is very little, if any, logic on it. It mostly just handles signal inversion and pin-out changes. I've not seen a Kaypro ROM that used interrupt I/O on the controller/interface, so would think that it is not interrupt issues. I guess if they changed signal polarities then the software/ROM would have to know that. But I would expect that the ROM contains the routines to issue commands, although I don't know for sure. It's hard to tell how literal to take the messages, though. If it is truly "drive not ready" then it is not likely to be the interface, as it is the controller that is determining drive not ready and returning that status/error code. But if they did something drastic like change the polarity of all 8 data lines between the two, then perhaps "drive not ready" is the only thing the software can see.

As I understand reading some other threads the reset to the to hard drive controller board is inverted between the two.

For now I've got a FreHD with adapter installed to test the rest of the system. It's doing the format at the moment.