Image Map Image Map

Thread: Vic 20 Issues

Question Vic 20 Issues

It must not be unusual to see new people coming here asking questions about broken vintage computers, and i'm no exception.
    I have a Vic 20 with the earlier longer mother board that was purchased rather cheaply and I was told it powered on, so I picked it up. It powers on like the seller said, but it doesn't boot and leaves me with a black screen with white lines flickering to a pile of static on the right side of the screen. I popped open the computer to see what was going on inside, and I found the rf shield for the video card undone, but nothing looked to be damaged. The only damage I noticed was the C39 16v capacitor had some corrosion on one lead, so I attempted to scrape it off with no result. I'm sure it's one of the ic chips, but i'm not for sure. I have no real tools either making my situation a little harder to go about. Any ideas?

Easiest way? The 8 Bit Guy is selling a bunch of Vic 20 motherboards he's tested / repaired: http://www.the8bitguy.com/product/co...0-motherboard/

Easy way to fix your VIC-20, and to support someone in the community.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    Easiest way? The 8 Bit Guy is selling a bunch of Vic 20 motherboards he's tested / repaired: http://www.the8bitguy.com/product/co...0-motherboard/

Easy way to fix your VIC-20, and to support someone in the community.
    That's the best idea. Then, test the chips on the old board on the new one so that you can determine which chips are good to keep as spares.
    -----[ Al ]-----

3 - TRS-80 Model I, TRS-80 Model 4D, LNW-80 Model I, Coco, 3 - Coco 2, Coco 3, 2 - Tano Dragon 64, C64, C64c, C128, 2 - Atari 800XL,
    Atari 520-ST, Atari Mega-2 ST, Amiga 1000, TS-1000, TS-2068, ZX-Spectrum, IBM 5150, 2 - Apple ][gs, Laser 128, and a butt load of Macs and Intel PCs.

You can send Ray Carlsen your original VIC-20 motherboard for repair.

Back in California,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group -
    http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
    August 11-12 Commodore Vegas Expo v14 2018 -
    http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

Quote Originally Posted by topo84 View Post
    It must not be unusual to see new people coming here asking questions about broken vintage computers, and i'm no exception.
    I have a Vic 20 with the earlier longer mother board that was purchased rather cheaply and I was told it powered on, so I picked it up. It powers on like the seller said, but it doesn't boot and leaves me with a black screen with white lines flickering to a pile of static on the right side of the screen. I popped open the computer to see what was going on inside, and I found the rf shield for the video card undone, but nothing looked to be damaged. The only damage I noticed was the C39 16v capacitor had some corrosion on one lead, so I attempted to scrape it off with no result. I'm sure it's one of the ic chips, but i'm not for sure. I have no real tools either making my situation a little harder to go about. Any ideas?
    The capacitor might be leaking, so it should be substituted and the board should be checked for broken tracks if the capacitor really leaked.
    Black screen on a VIC-20 can be caused by a whole lot of different components.
    Do you have electronic test equipment? Are you willing to read the schematic and execute some tests (if you have the equipment).
    Since everyone else mentioned that already, there're many of us that repair these things, I'm in Italy and I'm one of the many who can do the repair.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    The capacitor might be leaking, so it should be substituted and the board should be checked for broken tracks if the capacitor really leaked.
    Black screen on a VIC-20 can be caused by a whole lot of different components.
    Do you have electronic test equipment? Are you willing to read the schematic and execute some tests (if you have the equipment).
    Since everyone else mentioned that already, there're many of us that repair these things, I'm in Italy and I'm one of the many who can do the repair.
    Frank
    Replacing that capacitor might be the best idea, if I can find the correct one at least... I don't have equipment of my own, but there's a workshop near me I can visit to try the repair.
    As for buying a whole new mother board, that'd be nice if they weren't the newer shorter models. My Vic has the older longer mother board.
    I'm pretty sure there's a solution somewhere, we just need to find it...

Quote Originally Posted by topo84 View Post
    Replacing that capacitor might be the best idea, if I can find the correct one at least... I don't have equipment of my own, but there's a workshop near me I can visit to try the repair.
    As for buying a whole new mother board, that'd be nice if they weren't the newer shorter models. My Vic has the older longer mother board.
    I'm pretty sure there's a solution somewhere, we just need to find it...
    VIC-20CR (the shorter and newer motherboard) are quite cheap on the famous auction site. I would swap my working VIC-20CR for a non working but complete old VIC-20 anytime
    I'm sure everything can be repaired, that's my experience
    The right tool and the right knowledge is all that's needed.

Frank

I think i'll try replacing the capacitor and maybe re-socket some of the ic chips if I can find the correct tools.
    I'll be sure to report any problems / progress here.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    Easiest way? The 8 Bit Guy is selling a bunch of Vic 20 motherboards he's tested / repaired...
    I just read that the VIC-20CR boards are now sold out.

Truly,
    Robert Bernardo
    Fresno Commodore User Group -
    http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
    August 11-12 Commodore Vegas Expo v14 2018 -
    http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex

There may be some NOS boards reappearing from time to time. Someone was in possession of hundreds that were found in a warehouse and recently offered up on craigslist.