Image Map Image Map

Thread: Thinkpad 365xd does not read some CDs.

Default Thinkpad 365xd does not read some CDs.

Hi.
    I have a Thinkpad 365xd with CD reader.
    I have a copy of Windows 95 and Office 97, which are recorded on generic CDs and the ThinkPad reads them without problems. The original CD also reads them without problem.

I want to burn CDs to copy data to the ThinkPad. I use Verbatim brand CDs (yellows) and the ThinkPad does not read them (makes a lot of noise and reads very little, giving errors). Try lowering the recording speed to the minimum (8x, it is the minimum). I try to use DAO / SAO / TAO and he does not read them either.
    Burn CD using another recorder, do not read them either. Record using Windows / Linux, neither reads them.

Any suggestions?
    Thk

CD-ROM drives in the 90s often had problems with CD-R burnable media, because they were never designed to work with the format. The only thing I can recommend is to try another brand of media, or see if you can find some new-old stock recordable media from the late 90s/early 2000s with a really low burn speed. I keep a stash of different branded media, and have some old stock 4x CD-Rs for those really troublesome drives.

My really old 1x SCSI CD-ROM drive refuses to read any kind of recordable media, and my older, slower CD-ROM only drives have problems with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    CD-ROM drives in the 90s often had problems with CD-R burnable media, because they were never designed to work with the format. The only thing I can recommend is to try another brand of media, or see if you can find some new-old stock recordable media from the late 90s/early 2000s with a really low burn speed. I keep a stash of different branded media, and have some old stock 4x CD-Rs for those really troublesome drives.

My really old 1x SCSI CD-ROM drive refuses to read any kind of recordable media, and my older, slower CD-ROM only drives have problems with it as well.
    Hi.
    Thanks for answering.
    What brand of CDs-R do you recommend?

I have four Verbatim DataLifePLus CD-R Multi-Speed 74 Minute NOS CDs if they're of interest. They're from around 1990.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

I've generally found silver media to be better than coloured media for finicky CD drives. I'm sure there are a ton of exceptions to that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchute13 View Post
    Hi.
    Thanks for answering.
    What brand of CDs-R do you recommend?
    I keep a mix of Sony, Memorex and TDK around. My really old 4x media is CompUSA brand, I don't know who the OEM was for it.

I don't really recommend one brand, just whatever works as not all CD-ROM drives are the same. What works for me might not work for you.

If you do happen to come across some new-old stock CD-Rs, make sure to look for something called "bronzing", which is the process where the ink and foil on the CD-R start to decompose and turn to a bronze color. The disc may start to delaminate or have trouble being read or burned to.

Hi.
    Thanks to everyone, especially to GigaByte. I solved the problem using a PCMCIA + SD card reader adapter and I was able to copy the necessary files.
    Thank you again.