Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dropped netbook while it's on

Blog Entries

Even if the drive duplicator worked correctly, it is prudent to verify that the copy exactly matches the original. Few things are as pointless as retaining an unreadable backup. For that, having an external drive enclosure or docking station is very helpful.

When I do long duration archiving, I am only concerned with saving the data files so a simple copy of all the directories will suffice. Storing the OS won't matter if the next system to read it will have an OS several versions newer. Additional drives are used for standard backups to handle more immediate issues. If I lose the computer and the backups and the archival copy of the data at the same time, other issues will likely distract me from the loss of files.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Even if the drive duplicator worked correctly, it is prudent to verify that the copy exactly matches the original. Few things are as pointless as retaining an unreadable backup. For that, having an external drive enclosure or docking station is very helpful.
    That's what I was thinking, but an external drive will likely use USB which he apparently doesn't want. Personally I think dd is your friend and will work over SSH as well. But, . . . whatever.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    That's what I was thinking, but an external drive will likely use USB which he apparently doesn't want. Personally I think dd is your friend and will work over SSH as well. But, . . . whatever.
    DD and SSH? Networking stuff? I have no experience with that. I prefer to go with what's familiar rather than trying to learn networking. My idea is to have a 5.25 front bay hard drive docking station in my computer case so I can plug in my backup drives one at a time. USB external drive enclosures would be OK too, I'd have to get one for each. Then again, Windows 7 has a history of having corruption issues with "external drives" I suppose they meant USB externals only? I hope SATA/IDE 5.25 computer case docking stations are OK with Win7. I would have to use an earlier version of Windows to overcome the corruption issues. There is more info on this on the link below, and further more if you research it in a websearch. They may have fixed it in later Windows updates for Win7, but I don't know when. I don't use any updates newer than 2014, just in case Microsoft released additional "Windows 10 style" spying updates than we already know of. I wonder if Windows 8.1 also has the same corruption issues?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=w7itproperf

Seeing this, I'm hoping a physical duplication unit will work for me. I want to clone the drive entirely, everything inside, including the partitions. Manually transferring copies of my personal files through Windows or with USB flash drives is tedious and slow in my experience, and I don't see how a duplication unit can be erratic, unless the unit is defective? Don't some of them have built in data verification scanning or something?
    Last edited by computerdude92; July 20th, 2018 at 02:39 AM.

Blog Entries

It was my understanding that standalone duplication units will only copy a drive to the exact same identical model drive, like a Seagate ST4000VN008 to a Segate ST4000VN008 (same drive). Hopefully that won't be a problem for you.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

If you want something like a drive duplicator, It will be much cheaper and more flexible to build one out of an old computer and Linux. I have a system setup for just that. I use it to read SCSI and very old IDE drives. A drive duplicator will probably be very dumb and difficult to use as Trixter pointed out. A very similar thing is when you are rebuilding a RAID 1. I replaced a 72GB drive, with another, but it was one sector smaller or something and failed to rebuild, so I had to use a 147GB drive. Was scratching my head for a while on that one.

I'm assuming you don't want online backup (backup data while your computer is on) as the duplicator requires you to down your system, take the drive out and then put it in the duplicator. IMHO your best bet is a computer running Linux with some removable HDD trays. You have many options depending on what you want. Probably the simplest setup though is a live CD like gParted. Plug the two drives in, boot the CD and you can then copy one drive or partition to another, has a GUI too.

If you want to backup the data while the system is running to another drive, and you can't un-mount the disk, you'll have to* do it at the file system level. rsync is a great too for this. It's a Linux tool, but you can get if for windows via the cygwin program.

Sorry if any of this has been mentioned before, 5 pages to go through.

*ok, there are other methods.

Also, you don't need to use ssh with dd. It's just they can be used in various ways together
    Here is how simple DD is:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
    or to speed things up a little:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

Either of those will copy every byte from the drive sda to drive sdb, if there is an error it will abort. Just make sure you know sdb is the drive you want to copy TO.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

I rather use Windows, not Linux for this. Terminal commands don't work well for me. How do I build and configure a drive duplicator out of an old PC and use it with Windows?

By the way, this is the drive duplicator I saw in my July 2001 PC WORLD magazine which inspired my idea, the Greystone Data Systems model D-105. Seeing this, I thought that the make, model, and size of the hard drives used with common drive duplicators do not matter, as long as the files on the master drive will fit on all the drives?

Blog Entries

Greystone changed their web address. http://greystonedatatech.com/hddequipment.html will give you manuals for the drive duplicators which will show some of the weaknesses of the design. The Mirror copy mode requires identical disks. There is also a Smart Copy option which ignores deleted files and empty space. Smart Copy also creates NTFS partitions of the same size as the original drive leaving the remaining space unallocated. Mirror copy transfers data faster but the Smart Copy may have to move less data.

Making your own with a PC is easy. Plug the original drive in one bay and the target drive in a different bay. Disconnect all other hard drives; don't accidentally copy to a drive with data. Boot the system with disk copy software; follow the prompts and some time later it will complete. Depending on drives size and speed this could take many hours.

I prefer copying files to a directory so I can merge the contents of many low capacity drives on a single high capacity drive.