Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Personal Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I've never heard of someone renting out a garage before. If you don't mind the questions:

• How close to you was the garage?
    • How much did you pay per month or year in rent?
    • Did the owner have to open it for you every time you wanted to visit?
    • Did you pay for the electricity for the AC, or did the owner absorb that cost?
    • How did you learn of the garage for rent?
    No, I don't mind at all.

The garage is about a 40 minute bus ride (including waiting for the buses) or a 10 minute drive. Since I don't drive anymore, it's about 40 minutes There were some other garages for rent closer, but, if I took one of them, I'd be there all the time. I wanted a "Nah, I don't feel like going all the way down there today" situation.

The cost is $300 per month. What I get fixed and/or tested there, when sold, very easily covers all my expenses and I don't have to deal with all the paperwork and questions that are generated at the other shop. I invested in a steel man-door, upgrading the electrical, having cable internet run to it and put in an alarm system, but that was covered in the first couple of months, several years ago.

No, I have the keys and he doesn't have a passcode to the alarm system. He said he didn't want to go in if I wasn't there because he, somehow, got the impression that I had cannisters of VX hooked up to the alarm system LOL.

We split the hydro cost now, since, about a year ago he upped the rent from $225. He knows that, if I leave, he's on the hook for all the lease-hold improvements I did. He should really read his own leases, but he just got it off the internet.

I went on Kijiji and searched "garages for rent". He was happier to rent it to me because, as I explained, with the stuff that drips out of cars, since they are listed as hazardous waste, the'd, eventually have to tear up parts of the floor and dispose of them. He bought that...
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Default Workshop Update

This is just to update this with more pictures.

The first thing you will notice is 10 skids of Vintage computers.

This is Micom2000's complete collection, 7300 pounds (excluding pallets and packing) of hardware, software, peripherals, magazines etc. etc. which we acquired from his estate executor.

Don't worry, Lawrence didn't die, he's just unable to take care of himself or his residence any longer.

This collection has an extensive number of makes and model of 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit computers, including 4 PS/1 systems. If you do a search on here, you will find a couple of inventory lists he made up listing some of the stuff, but, there is much, much more than is listed there. Boxes of old ISA cards, I believe there are some VLB cards and motherboards, many early NEC multi-sync monitors, boxes of software in their original boxes, some boxed computers and all kinds of great stuff.

What used to be my personal workshop is now a triage area where we will break down the pallets, one at a time, and run operational tests on the equipment. The equipment that works will go to the main workshop to be tested more thoroughly with its peripherals, cleaned up and made available for purchase. The stuff that doesn't work will be repaired, thoroughly tested and made available for purchase.

The pictures aren't great because of the thickness of the shrink-wrapping and the overhead lights reflecting off it, but, there is a LOT of stuff.

Pic_0802_001.jpgPic_0802_015.jpgPic_0802_014.jpgPic_0802_013.jpgPic_0802_012.jpgPic_0802_011.jpgPic_0802_010.jpgPic_0802_009.jpgPic_0802_008.jpgPic_0802_007.jpgPic_0802_006.jpgPic_0802_005.jpgPic_0802_004.jpgPic_0802_003.jpgPic_0802_002.jpgPic_0802_016.jpg
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.