Image Map Image Map

Thread: Sony PS2 slight capacitor smell

Default Sony PS2 slight capacitor smell

When I turn it on and stick my nose near the vents. Smelling a little funky there. Should I crack it open and replace some caps? Or wait until it blows? It seems to work fine, haven't actually used it yet. Outputs to a TV properly, cd jettison after 1 - 2 seconds of insectoid chatter. It's a fat boy.

Blog Entries

In my 50 years of tinkering, I can smell a burned resistor or selenium rectifier calling home, but for the life of me, I've never smelled a bad capacitor.

The first time I ever had to replace a cap in a power supply, I smelled something similar. Remember it always.

Are you here saying capacitors don‘t give off a smell?

Ok if I'm reading you right, a borderline cap won't smell, only when it burns Iguess.

Incidentally my Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 gave up the ghost not long after posting the original message. I smelled something likee a burning cap too.
    Last edited by 2icebitn; July 5th, 2018 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    In my 50 years of tinkering, I can smell a burned resistor or selenium rectifier calling home, but for the life of me, I've never smelled a bad capacitor.
    is it similar to the fishy smell of desoldering a leaking capacitor?

Blog Entries

I must be nose-blind to the smell--I've certainly run into my share of bad capacitors. Resistors, scorched PCB, sure, but I can't say I've ever smelled a capacitor going bad.

all I know is adding an iron to a leaky capacitor makes a fishy smell, I dont think they smell without the iron burning the electrolytic fluid. Burnt tantalums smell when they burn and maybe a day or two after but they dissipate.

Blog Entries

I know 90's SMD lytics have a peculiar smell to them but only if the enclosure they were in has not been opened in a while. I have a few Canon cameras where you open their carrying cases and it hits you.
    I do however know that those old RIFA paper epoxy AC filter caps when they go smell strongly of roasted coffee.

I have yet to see a cap problem on a PS2 even though they are 15 years old now. It is mainly the laser assemblies failing but that's been the norm for years.
    = Excellent space heater

Yes, it is a fishy smell... Amiga 600/1200/CD32 with leaked caps turned on for a bit to heat up will do it.

Leaked or vented capacitor electrolyte does have a certain smell, like ammonia or an unclean gent's lavatory (I believe concentrated urine contains a lot of ammonia).