Image Map Image Map

Thread: Low cost Z80 ICE

Default Low cost Z80 ICE

For those that are not aware I've recently created an Arduino Mega2560 shield that allows you to manipulate the bus of a Z80 target system.

It allows you to read and write to memory and IO ports to help identify faults in the target.

For those that are interested it is based on this project, https://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/digaud/arduino/Z80exer/

I have bare boards available for US$10 + shipping, PM me if interested.

20180706_104057.jpg

Blog Entries

I'm confused; ICE = In Circuit Emulator; something that replaces the CPU in a system and runs normal code, but allows for monitoring and control of various signals. So, does your Mega2560 card emulate a Z80?

In this particular case ICE would be In-Circuit Exerciser. If you want the emulator variant, hoglet67's AtomBusMon ICE-T80 would your pick. See https://github.com/hoglet67/AtomBusMon/wiki
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'm confused; ICE = In Circuit Emulator; something that replaces the CPU in a system and runs normal code, but allows for monitoring and control of various signals. So, does your Mega2560 card emulate a Z80?
    No it doesnt emulate the z80 instructions. I'm being lazy in my description. The link I provided in the OP will explain what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by lowen View Post
    In this particular case ICE would be In-Circuit Exerciser. If you want the emulator variant, hoglet67's AtomBusMon ICE-T80 would your pick. See https://github.com/hoglet67/AtomBusMon/wiki
    I dont think the module it's based on is available anymore.

Blog Entries

No, it's okay--I was just confused by the acronym. I guess I'm just too old:

Oooh now there's a toy with a bit of proper history!

Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    I dont think the module it's based on is available anymore.
    Still is available, just not in original form. FPGA is from ebay and then need a level shifter board which is designed for it. I think I posted thread on creating it in the other thread. Dave is still actively supporting it.

Edit: I should know as I kept pestering Hoglet to come up with a solution that used an easily available FPGA as I need an ICE at the time.