Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Macintosh Lc 580

I can't say if Sim Tower on x86 uses an FPU, but it's most likely it doesn't use it since there's no benefit. It's a 2D game based on a grid, no floating point math would really benefit it.

I do know that Sim City and Sim City 2000 don't require an FPU on x86 because I used to play them on an Acer 486 SX 33. They got really slow when running large cities, but they worked.

Well, yeah, but just because they don't require an FPU to run doesn't mean they aren't using FPU instructions - they could be relying on trapping and emulation of the unimplemented instructions on systems without. It'd be interesting to hear from someone who's examined them directly.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Just open up the executable in ida pro or ollydbg (if it supports WIN16 executables) and look for instances of fadd/fmul/etc.