Image Map Image Map

Thread: Q-Bus version of RLV12 Hack

Default Q-Bus version of RLV12 Hack

Hi,

today the last pieces arrived and I will soon start to build a Q-Bus version of my RLV12 Hack

IMG_2687.jpg

this version uses all 5V parts. The bus-drivers/receivers consists of a set of C2324N (aka DC005), DS8837 (Q-Bus receivers) and SN7438 (high current open collector transmitters as found in many designs). The rest is identical to the RLV12/Hack.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by cbscpe View Post
    Hi,

today the last pieces arrived and I will soon start to build a Q-Bus version of my RLV12 Hack

IMG_2687.jpg

this version uses all 5V parts. The bus-drivers/receivers consists of a set of C2324N (aka DC005), DS8837 (Q-Bus receivers) and SN7438 (high current open collector transmitters as found in many designs). The rest is identical to the RLV12/Hack.

Peter
    Peter,
    That is really a cool Hack!!! I would love to get one (or two) from you some time. I have the DC005 and DS8837 chips, but would be interested in buying the PC Card with the surface mounted chips on it. (Iím not sure I have the soldering skills to do them). Do keep us posted on your progress with this. My MINC-23 would love to have one of these boards in it.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hello Peter,

love it

Are you planing to publish the schemtatics and the software?

Hi Peter, any news

Not really news, I soldered the CPLD on the first board and then I did not find any further time to continue with the project. It's not dead however. As I said the hardware is based on the RLV12 Hack. So in the meantime I have completely rewritten the MCU and CPLD code. First I redesigned the logic of base register and DMA interface. Reads to the base register are now handled internal to the CPLD so I could avoid the nasty hack with the "busy" bit which would apply only to the RLV12 behaviour but not to other controllers. Also the DMA is now fully controlled by a state machine in the CPLD and no longer in the MCU, only the effective data transfer is now done with the help of the MCU. The reason was that in the future I want to emulate an Emulex SC03, to support RM05 or RP07 drives. In the meantime the MCU supports a FAT-32 formatted SD-Card and you can attach disk-images to the units.

I managed to make the changes 100% compatible with the existing hardware and the Q-Bus version. The CPLD of the Hack and Q-Bus version was always different but even this version of the CPLD code for the Q-Bus version fits the existing Q-Bus Hardware. Depending on how adventurous you are I could let you have one of the PCBs and a snapshot of the current project. But you need to be able to solder SMD (TQFP-100) and have the appropriate tools to program the CPLD (ATF150 and the MCU (Atmega1284P). Send me a PM if you are interested.

I can handle the soldering and testing, but I don't have anything to do the CPLD or MCU programming (PIC guy ). Interesting project though -- keep up the good work!