Image Map Image Map

Thread: Tandy/Radio shack BBSs? (of the modern variety)

Default Tandy/Radio shack BBSs? (of the modern variety)

There are a lot of fairly active tcp/telnet-based BBSs right now..several Commodore-centric ones, a few Apple II-based, and even a few Atari-based. There are also a few that are non system-specific (like Level29), but I've been surprised by what seems to be a complete lack of Radio Shack-specific BBSs.

When I started BBSing in 1983, Radio Shack computers were one of the most represented systems. I would have thought that at least a few of them would have sprung up in modern times. I'm hoping that maybe they are out there and I just haven't found them yet. Does anyone know of any?

FWIW, I use my model 4 for BBSing quite a bit via the M3SE telnet client and it's one of my favorite systems to BBS with. It would be cool to use it to connect to a BBS where there are Tandy peeps..bonus points of it's running on an actual retro Tandy system.

2. Default

Ah yes .... back in the days I actually wrote a BBS program and it ran on a TRS-80 Model 1 with 16K and and EI with 32K ram and (4) mini drives !!!!! It was entertaining to watch ... maintenance was very little. Funny though - most of the users were farmers and it was interesting to read their postings about their daily lives !!!! I had it running for over a year but then had to take it down. Had to sell all the equipment and now I am like you - really surprised that no other ones physically exist today.

I know that in the metro D.C. area in the late 80's there were far more BBS's for the other 8 bit systems than there were for TRS-80's. I still saw plenty of the old Atari vs. Commodore etc. wars going on while the TRS-80's weren't often mentioned. I can only recall one BBS in the area that catered to things TRS-80. Despite their high profile in Radio Shack stores, I don't think they quite had the recognition of the other 8 bit systems.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

Quote Originally Posted by cchaven View Post
    I know that in the metro D.C. area in the late 80's there were far more BBS's for the other 8 bit systems than there were for TRS-80's. I still saw plenty of the old Atari vs. Commodore etc. wars going on while the TRS-80's weren't often mentioned. I can only recall one BBS in the area that catered to things TRS-80. Despite their high profile in Radio Shack stores, I don't think they quite had the recognition of the other 8 bit systems.
    Late 80's was past the TRS-80 prime years so that would probably be expected.

If someone would setup a BBS would the Coco be able to connect to it? I live on BBS way back then but I can't remember If I use my Coco3 when I had it before I sold it. If it will I would like to try it again.
    I only ask Question if I don't know and I will reply to question if I know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cchaven View Post
    I was working in the DC area in the late 80's and IIRC, MegaWatt was one of the big ones. You needed to upload in order to download. My 1000SX was fairly new and I had a 300 baud modem. I siphoned off a lot of good stuff from that boad back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Late 80's was past the TRS-80 prime years so that would probably be expected.
    Exactly! I'm talking 1983, maybe early 84 at the latest.

TRS-80s were still quite common then. There were even boards around here running on LOBO systems, which I think were a form of TRS-80 compatibles. the Atari vs Commodore nonsense had barely gotten started.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmdlcar View Post
    If someone would setup a BBS would the Coco be able to connect to it? I live on BBS way back then but I can't remember If I use my Coco3 when I had it before I sold it. If it will I would like to try it again.
    Yes..I'm pretty sure it would just work. You'd need the right cables and something like one of the Wifi modems that are becoming common, or maybe a Raspberry Pi running tcpser, but a CoCo 3 should certainly be capable of it. In fact if I ever get my hands on a Coco 3 that's one of the first things I'm going to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradroyd View Post
    Yes..I'm pretty sure it would just work. You'd need the right cables and something like one of the Wifi modems that are becoming common, or maybe a Raspberry Pi running tcpser, but a CoCo 3 should certainly be capable of it. In fact if I ever get my hands on a Coco 3 that's one of the first things I'm going to do with it.
    I really need to get my BBS back on the network, Its running and was custom written software using overlays in BASIC. I think it has 30 different overlays. And it was running through 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I really need to get my BBS back on the network, Its running and was custom written software using overlays in BASIC. I think it has 30 different overlays. And it was running through 1992.
    If you could adapt it to tcp/ip/telnet, I'm pretty sure you'd have a fair amount of callers pretty quickly. A lot of those are taking off right now.