Image Map Image Map

Thread: P4+ motherboards iwth ISA support.

Blog Entries

Default P4+ motherboards iwth ISA support.

For years, I've been using a dual P3 motherboard with the 440GX chipset and 2 ISA slots.

On an impulse, I decided to try a P4 board with ISA slots that claims full legacy ISA and DMA support. It's an Advantech AIMB-742 board.

You'd figure that I'm in like Flynn. Nope--it seems to be all a lie--my tape controller board passes all controller diagnostics and returns no data in the P4 board, even with the BIOS set to "Legacy ISA" for both IRQ and DMA options. Everything works fine on the P3 board.

So, is this just another case of some outfit claiming things that they can't deliver? I checked the user manual and made sure that the BIOS is at the last update. But feh--it doesn't work at all.

The motherboard uses the ITE IT8888 chip.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Anyone else have similar experiences?
    I've accumulated a big pile of various P4 boards that won't satisfy two requirements:

Allowing you to disable on-board floppy
    Correctly boots from a thumb drive

The only board I regularly use is an Intel-made OEM board that does both

I should sell off all the others. I also tried putting together various single-card ISA P4s into a passive backplane.
    I still have a few more to try. They are loud, and the last one I bought from China had the main power supply recapped
    with the wrong value caps (MUCH smaller values). It works, but..

This is all to build floppy readers with the Adaptec ISA card. It really does seem to make sense to abandon trying to do this
    and use something more modern.

Blog Entries

That's been my thought too--I've got a STM32F429 MCU board sketched out to make a Pertec-interface controller, but haven't had the time--and work on the horizon isn't going to let me do it anytime soon either.

The experience with the STM32F07 board and the HP7970 drive convinced me that that was the right way to go. Interface to a Pertec formatter is simpler than the "raw" HP 7970, one, but it's mostly a matter of getting enough time to develop something.

For now, it's back to the dual P3 board.

Are there any later (e.g. Socket AM2...) AMD motherboards that support full ISA?

I have an iBASE MB800H with full ISA support. The PCI/ISA bridge is a Winbond 83628. I never explicitly tested DMA but I had both an SB16 and a GUS PnP working with Impulse Tracker so I assume it works.

Blog Entries

Can you allocate IRQ6/DMA2 to an ISA card, or, do they, like so many other motherboards, conveniently leave that out of the BIOS setup screens? The AIMB-742 claims "full ISA support", except it doesn't.

The DFI EL620-C motherboard with Core 2 Quad support claims to support ISA, but I wouldn't count on a full implementation.

I'm not sure. I'm not currently using it because the USB wasn't playing nice with my KVM. The manual shows that you can disable the onboard FDC so it may be possible.

You may find this page useful.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've been there.

Back to the 440GX Supermicro board for now. Maybe I'll get lucky eventually.