Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some progress for FreHD on model 2

1. Default Some progress for FreHD on model 2

Hi folks.

Wanted to share some progress. I have hacked mame to support FreHD on the model 2, so I can understand what's going on (since my model 2 has a broken floppy disk and no hd interface card). FreHD will require a little mod and a new GAL to work on the model 2, Hans and I are working on it.

Long term, I plan to make a model 2 board with 512K ram, 512K flash, and a FreHD v2 (based on a PIC32 + big CPLD to implement some required logic (CTC and DMA support)). Maybe memory for 68K ? We'll see...

-Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hooray! That's great work Fred
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TRS-Ian View Post
    Hooray! That's great work Fred
    Yes, you helped indirectly. I got the schematics from Pascal who also helped, which he could do with the board you sent him a while ago Team work !

Great news! Do you expect the modified units to become incompatible with the Model III/4? I think I should order another FreHD from Ian with plans to modify it later, and make sure I have the right GALs in my parts bin.

Great! Looking forward to the finished mod.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NF6X View Post
    Great news! Do you expect the modified units to become incompatible with the Model III/4? I think I should order another FreHD from Ian with plans to modify it later, and make sure I have the right GALs in my parts bin.
    Yes, the GAL has to be different because address 0xC2-0xC7 cannot be used. FreHD, on a model III/4, uses these to give extra functionality. On the model 2, these addresses are used by the CRC (C4-C7). C2-C3 are "id registers", but I haven't seen code accessing them yet. I also haven't seen any DMA done with TRSDOS 4.0, but I have just barely tested it on the emulator. I'd be nice to boot cp/m and later xenix but if I design a board, there will be enough space on the CPLD to accommodate DMA.

-Fred

Any chance you could put an Ethernet or WiFi module on the board? I know it’s a big ask but there are a lot of uses for Network connectivity.

Blog Entries

The MISE/M3SE uses a WIZ830MJ ethernet module, I believe: http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/443/WIZ830MJ-268477.pdf

In his spare time, Pete C. could readily write the programs necessary to use it.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeModifed; July 8th, 2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Differentiating between Petes. ;)

Fantastic new guys - it's just getting better and better

Quote Originally Posted by veco View Post
    hi folks.

Wanted to share some progress. I have hacked mame to support frehd on the model 2, so i can understand what's going on (since my model 2 has a broken floppy disk and no hd interface card). Frehd will require a little mod and a new gal to work on the model 2, hans and i are working on it.

Long term, i plan to make a model 2 board with 512k ram, 512k flash, and a frehd v2 (based on a pic32 + big cpld to implement some required logic (ctc and dma support)). Maybe memory for 68k ? We'll see...

-fred
    this is proof that the trs 80 is somehow still a machine of viable interest to people out there - so try and attend tandy assembly 2018 to help keep the trs alive !!!!!!!!!