Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I would also avoid a IIsi
I used to have one, but it disappeared into the horde in the garage over a decade ago and I haven't seen it since. It wasn't a bad machine if you had the PDS to Nubus adapter, just a tad slow. Apparently you can "chip" it to run at 25-27.5 MHz and it'll be about as fast as an LC III.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
LC III is likely the only LC to get unless you like hot rodding. I have a regular LC, but I also have a somewhat rare upgrade called a Presto Plus. It upgrades the CPU to a full 68040, upgrades the RAM to 32MBs, and adds an ethernet card. There're also some interesting chassis expansions for the LC that turn it into a monster with multiple hard drive bays, multiple PDS slots, and even an extra power supply to power it all. Sometimes it's just fun to take a crappy Mac and make it decent ... just because. :P
Ideally, you'd want the LC III+ which has a 33 MHz 68030 vs the standard 25 MHz. You can "chip" a normal LC III to run at 33 MHz by moving a few resistors around the board, but you need a heatsink and fan on the CPU, as well as a heatsink on the chipset or it'll overheat and start acting funny. Or if you want a 040 in the same pizza box case, an LC 475 or Quadra 605 (basically the same machine.) A quick search on Ebay shows several "dead" units for a reasonable cost, which probably just need to be recapped.

The LC and LC II are junk, Apple put a 32 bit 68020 on a 16 bit bus and artificially neutered the RAM capacity to a max of 10 MB, despite being able to install more. I have a 68030+68881 upgrade card for these two models, but I've never been able to test it because I've never owned those machines.