Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the most popular kind of macs to collect?

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    I would also avoid a IIsi
    I used to have one, but it disappeared into the horde in the garage over a decade ago and I haven't seen it since. It wasn't a bad machine if you had the PDS to Nubus adapter, just a tad slow. Apparently you can "chip" it to run at 25-27.5 MHz and it'll be about as fast as an LC III.

Quote Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
    LC III is likely the only LC to get unless you like hot rodding. I have a regular LC, but I also have a somewhat rare upgrade called a Presto Plus. It upgrades the CPU to a full 68040, upgrades the RAM to 32MBs, and adds an ethernet card. There're also some interesting chassis expansions for the LC that turn it into a monster with multiple hard drive bays, multiple PDS slots, and even an extra power supply to power it all. Sometimes it's just fun to take a crappy Mac and make it decent ... just because. :P
    Ideally, you'd want the LC III+ which has a 33 MHz 68030 vs the standard 25 MHz. You can "chip" a normal LC III to run at 33 MHz by moving a few resistors around the board, but you need a heatsink and fan on the CPU, as well as a heatsink on the chipset or it'll overheat and start acting funny. Or if you want a 040 in the same pizza box case, an LC 475 or Quadra 605 (basically the same machine.) A quick search on Ebay shows several "dead" units for a reasonable cost, which probably just need to be recapped.

The LC and LC II are junk, Apple put a 32 bit 68020 on a 16 bit bus and artificially neutered the RAM capacity to a max of 10 MB, despite being able to install more. I have a 68030+68881 upgrade card for these two models, but I've never been able to test it because I've never owned those machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicHasClass View Post
    I don't understand the desire to hack the Colour Classic but mine is technically a Mystic so I'm a big stinking hypocrite.
    You have to own a standard one for about a week to understand the reasoning behind it. It's great fun and it has a brilliant trinitron screen, but eventually the realisation sinks in that it's really an LC II in an all in-one case.

The problem is that while it has a colour screen and looks great; it just performs like absolute rubbish. All the good colour games that you want to play run too slow; or even doing simple tasks like unstuffing an archive take an absolute age. There are still a handful of things that run fine and are great fun (colour dark castle, prince of persia spring to mind) however the majority of the multimedia titles that came out around 94-95' won't run at all. Marathon is totally unplayable, even it's older sibling pathways into darkness (written the same year as the colour classic was released) isn't playable. The other issue is the weird screen resolution; lots of software require 640x480 hence the resolution hack gets performed.

I've left mine standard because I want to preserve the originality; however I find I don't use it much because it's just too slow.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

Quote Originally Posted by 3pcedev View Post
    I've left mine standard because I want to preserve the originality; however I find I don't use it much because it's just too slow.
    Doesn't make much sense to leave it stock if it's just going to be a shelf queen.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Doesn't make much sense to leave it stock if it's just going to be a shelf queen.
    That's a good point; but the other consideration is the cost of doing a Takky/Mystic upgrade these days. I've not seen many logic boards for sale; and those that come up are too expensive

All-in-all I enjoy it for what it is. I have more powerful macs if I want to play games that won't run on the CC. Doesn't mean its on the shelf all the time; I still use it around once a month.
    System 80 Expansion Interface located! Thanks to all who helped out and the good people in the NZ vintage computer forums!

There is a reversible and non-destructive way to do the 640x480 mod (courtesy of TechKnight over at 68KMLA) by replacing some capacitors and resistors. If you want to put it back to stock, then solder the original resistors and caps back on. You can also swap out the motherboard for an LC 575 or similar model. It's a drop-in replacement.

You'll then have a perfectly usable Color Classic that you can restore back to the original. The "correct" VGA mod will also work with a stock Color Classic with a VRAM upgrade.

Blog Entries

I have to be the person who says it. Sorry. This thread keeps popping up and it's annoying the hell out of me.

He's not a techie, so I'd thought I'd ask you guys the question. What are good systems to collect?
    I don't know, the ones people want the most money for? I thought it would be obvious. Get him a compact mac. Anything from the Plus to a Classic II omitting the SE/30 and the Color Classics is good and "generic classic mac" enough that most are still affordable and everyone recognizes what it is. Not a technical person? Too bad. I've basically stopped babying new classic mac users who jump to forums first before doing any level of googling.
    = Excellent space heater

It depends if you're trying to collect for value or out of personal interest. I was a hardcore Apple fan through the 90s but I think my favorite machines aren't the ones most people are after these days. An original 128K carries value but I personally like the Classic/SE/Plus over it as these are computers I actually used in my youth. I'm lucky enough to own Color Classics and a Quadra 840av, which are fairly popular for collectors, but these don't carry any significant attachment for me. For usability I'd take an LC 575 over the Color Classic easy. Nobody really cares about the PowerMac 8500/9500 models and the case design is annoying to work on, but these were among my dream Macs when I was growing up and I really want to grab one someday. If you didn't grow up with Macs but want to get into collecting for fun, you likely could enjoy any old Mac you find assuming you do your research on how to fix/use these older machines.