Image Map Image Map

Thread: Windows 98 Driver Issue

Default Windows 98 Driver Issue

Hi,

I recently acquired a Windows 98 SE PC. However it had no means of connecting to the internet. I found a suitable PCI adapter (Trendnet TEG-PCITXR). It came with a CD containing the required drivers, however when I went to install them the PC said it was missing the required files from the Operating system. I managed to find a Windows 98 SE Install disc. It did not find the required files though.

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this please let me know.

Many Thanks,
    Palisades

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesPal View Post
    Hi,

I recently acquired a Windows 98 SE PC. However it had no means of connecting to the internet. I found a suitable PCI adapter (Trendnet TEG-PCITXR). It came with a CD containing the required drivers, however when I went to install them the PC said it was missing the required files from the Operating system. I managed to find a Windows 98 SE Install disc. It did not find the required files though.

If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this please let me know.

Many Thanks,
    Palisades
    Pal,

A little more info please. Installing drivers on W98 can be tricky and downright frustrating at times. There are procedures that need to be observed. Installing 3rd party drivers via the components' install routine does not always deliver the desired results, as you have recently discovered. Sometimes you need to use Windows 'Add Hardware' provision within the W98 Control Panel and forgo the installation CD. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by PalisadesPal View Post
    I found a suitable PCI adapter (Trendnet TEG-PCITXR)
    When you say suitable what is it suitable for? WIN98? Are you certain about that?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Check to see if the Windows CAB files are already on your hard drive somewhere. With OEM installs it was common to place them in C:\windows\options\cabs. If they are, then when Windows needs to install a file from the Windows CD then just point it to that folder.

I'm not sure if all Windows 98 CDs actually match, but usually point it to d:\setup or wherever the Windows 98 setup CABs are.

Exactly what file is it asking for? It might be confused and asking for a file that isn't actually part of Windows 98.

You may have better success with the actual Realtek drivers... since its an RTL8169 based card I don't know which model but you should be able to determine by looking at the chip on the card... http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...Level=5&Conn=4