Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM 3270 PC, Boy I'd love one of these.

I have seen singleboard 3270 emulation cards in both 8 and 16 bit ISA formats. Maybe you needed a special keyboard, but I have seen these systems with just the card.

Blog Entries

Methinks the jewel here is not that it's an overly large 3270 terminal emulator that any other software or hardware could do better but an official IBM product.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Methinks the jewel here is not that it's an overly large 3270 terminal emulator that any other software or hardware could do better but an official IBM product.
    Yes, that's part of it, but for me, it's remembering my dad using one at work at IBM Cottle Rd. San Jose. A time long since gone.

Greg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I am sure you can find a generic terminal for much less (or maybe not I have not looked). I have a few DEC VT525's with DEC keyboards I purchased for the cost of a happy meal so I am good (got every lucky at a recycler, same place I snagged my DEC MicroVax from).

How many people keep an IBM mainframe at home to need the 3270?
    Whilst you can find a generic terminal for less, a 3270 is not a generic terminal. A 3270 has a coax connection to a mainframe controller. The connection runs at 1.5MBits so a cut above the average. The controller buffers keystrokes and only sends input to the mainframe when you press the enter key, or a Function or Attention key. Normal editing so insert/delete character is handled in the controller, so the Mainframe has very little work to do to handle a screen. Contrast that with VMS with a VTxxx. The user hits a key. VMS pages the user program in, passes the keystroke to the user program. For most characters the user program echos the character back to the terminal, and then gets paged out by VMS. The result is that on a heavily loaded machine you get into "type behind" where you type three or four characters and have a long wait before they appear of the screen.

As for how many folks have an IBM mainframe at home, well the modern controllers work with the Hercules emulator. There are over 7000 people in the Hercules emulator list so plenty of folks running emulation....
    .. the P390 is an IBM Mainframe card that could be installed in a PC server or RS6000 unix box. There are 200 folks on the P390 mail list. I guess a few have P390's at home (I do)....
    .. so probably more than you would expect...
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals