Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tape heads--will silicone lube make for cleaner heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    There was, for example, a way of covering hard drive platters with a lubricant that was designed to spread itself one molecule thick. It's a long time since I was looking into HDD coatings, but such a thing was used in the early days.
    I think that relied on spinning of the disk, to spread it thin. I seem to recall a similar system, of coating based on evaporation. There are also things like chrome plating etc, etc, all thin, though not at one molecule. But this is re-engineering the head.

--

Every way I see it, there are trade offs. Put something common between the head and the tape, and it's too thick. Put something thin, and it requires a non-trivial process. Many lubricants are either going to contaminate the tape, or make head deposits worse. The lube (graphite I think) used in the 8-track cartridges made the tape slippery, but IIRC this caused more head deposit problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    My interest in vintage computing is a historical one (though sometimes also practical). That is often a completely ignored aspect on this forum and it bothers me. I have networking stuff in my collection because I consider networking to be the most important history of today's computer usage and the internet....
    "often a completely ignored aspect on this forum", I don't think that is that true. Yes often people ask questions about how to fix something so they can game, a means to an end. But I see a lot of historical interest on this forum. Also the means to an end, can lead you down a path to historical interest. It's an 'in'. I first became interested in old computers because i just wanted a computer, and that's all I could afford, means to an end, Now I collect EISA configurations files! I do find the history of computers far more interesting than gaming. Even in the PC world there is so much that is forgotten. Repairing things is also satisfying. But to each their own.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Blog Entries

The graphite, if that's what it is, is on the tape backing, and is pretty permanent. It shouldn't foul the head. Slippery is an understatement. I'm not sure what the right word is, but those tapes are so slippery that they are a nightmare to work with.

As for silicone lube, I could be wrong, but I don't think that should contaminate the oxide side of a tape.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    "often a completely ignored aspect on this forum", I don't think that is that true. Yes often people ask questions about how to fix something so they can game, a means to an end. But I see a lot of historical interest on this forum. Also the means to an end, can lead you down a path to historical interest. It's an 'in'. I first became interested in old computers because i just wanted a computer, and that's all I could afford, means to an end, Now I collect EISA configurations files! I do find the history of computers far more interesting than gaming. Even in the PC world there is so much that is forgotten. Repairing things is also satisfying. But to each their own.
    Nice approach. Yes, my comment was indeed a bit strong. But I have offered vintage networking stuff here with just about zero interest. Arcnet, nope. Token Ring, forget it. People just don't want that stuff.
    WANTED: Cardinal 2450MNP modem.

Blog Entries

There's an awful lot of things I'd like to have but just don't have the time nor space for.