Image Map Image Map

Thread: KVM Switches

1. Default KVM Switches

So Iíve been hoping to pick up a KVM switch for my Tandy 1000s. They are a mixed bunch, some with the big DIN connector, and some with the PS2 port. Ideally I want a single box that can handle at least four machines as well as the keyboard and mouse.

Iím fine having two mice going (serial and ps2) but itís hard to find a switch with a CGA connection on it. Iíve thought abouting using ones with a serial port for that, but Iím curious if that may cause ghosting on the monitor.

If anyone has experience or recommendations Iíd be eager to hear about it.

Also, are quality shielded CGA cables even a thing? Recommendations?

Thanks
    -Poobah
    Last edited by GrandPoobah; July 8th, 2018 at 05:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Never seen a CGA KVM and I don't think Tandy 1000 keyboards are compatible with AT or PS/2 keyboards.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I once use a serial/printer DB25 switch box to switch between 4 computers. I had to wire the cables myself. Cat5 cable worked ok for the VGA cable, though I did use FTP. I was using resolutions around 800x600. I would think CGA would be fine on something similar. If you don't want to solder a lot of stuff, you may find some DE9-to-HD15 adapters, so you can use the VGA port on a KVM. This is assuming it's a passive one, and the adapter pinout will suit CGA.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Never seen a CGA KVM and I don't think Tandy 1000 keyboards are compatible with AT or PS/2 keyboards.
    The later model 1000's use a PS/2 type port, but they are not true PS/2 keyboards. With an adaptor, you can even shove an original Tandy keyboard into some of the PS2 "style" models and it works just fine.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    I once use a serial/printer DB25 switch box to switch between 4 computers. I had to wire the cables myself. Cat5 cable worked ok for the VGA cable, though I did use FTP. I was using resolutions around 800x600. I would think CGA would be fine on something similar. If you don't want to solder a lot of stuff, you may find some DE9-to-HD15 adapters, so you can use the VGA port on a KVM. This is assuming it's a passive one, and the adapter pinout will suit CGA.
    Thats an excellent point. I could just grab a passive kvm and hijack the living heck out of the VGA port. If it has the PS/2 i need on it, i can use the extra vga lines for a serial mouse or the old school Tandy keyboard. I could probably even prototype it with some loose dupont connectors