Image Map Image Map

Thread: FreHD - a quirk with the RTC

Default FreHD - a quirk with the RTC

With a slight delay due to my hi-res board throwing a hissy-fit, I finally got my FreHD auto-boot setup going on the weekend. However there's a couple of "quirks" to resolve. One is with the date. Example from yesterday;

(note SYSGEN has run VHDUTIL at this stage to pull the date and time from the uninitialised clock on the FreHD)

DATE
    (some date in 1912 - can't remember exactly)
    DATE 07/08/18
    DATE
    July 8, 2018
    VHDUTIL(SET)
    VHDUTIL(GET)
    DATE
    July 8, 1999

So it gets the day and month right, but truncates the year to 1999. Despite LSDOS being patched for later dates. I'm guessing the fact that the initial date is in 1912 is a hint to the problem, but really I have no idea, other than the suspicion the problem is in VHDUTIL.

Pointers anyone?

PJH

Quote Originally Posted by pjhacnau View Post
    With a slight delay due to my hi-res board throwing a hissy-fit, I finally got my FreHD auto-boot setup going on the weekend. However there's a couple of "quirks" to resolve. One is with the date. Example from yesterday;

(note SYSGEN has run VHDUTIL at this stage to pull the date and time from the uninitialised clock on the FreHD)

DATE
    (some date in 1912 - can't remember exactly)
    DATE 07/08/18
    DATE
    July 8, 2018
    VHDUTIL(SET)
    VHDUTIL(GET)
    DATE
    July 8, 1999

So it gets the day and month right, but truncates the year to 1999. Despite LSDOS being patched for later dates. I'm guessing the fact that the initial date is in 1912 is a hint to the problem, but really I have no idea, other than the suspicion the problem is in VHDUTIL.

Pointers anyone?

PJH
    I had this problem as well, and I never got around to troubleshooting it. I would consider reapplying all the patches or overwriting all the SYS files on your image to make sure you dont have something out of sync. Since I have had it happen too, and it was a preloaded image, we might have to help Ian if we figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I had this problem as well, and I never got around to troubleshooting it.
    From that wording I'm not sure if you still have the problem or patched around it or found a different image (or image set) which doesn't exhibit the behaviour . . . which is it?

PJH

Quote Originally Posted by pjhacnau View Post
    From that wording I'm not sure if you still have the problem or patched around it or found a different image (or image set) which doesn't exhibit the behaviour . . . which is it?

PJH
    Sorry for not being clear, I have this issue on one of my FreHDs, and I believe its a problem with the OS not the FreHD. This weekend I have some cleaning to do and I'll get the Model 4P plugged back in that has it inside, and see if I can isolate where I am having the issue. I have three FreHDs, and I'll test on my Model III.

I know I have never had this issue on the version of LSDOS and LDOS I got from Tim Mann or from the M3SE so it could very well be a messed up SYS file.

While you wait on me, you could more than likely boot off an LSDOS/LDOS master and use the vhdutl to set the clock, and also get the new clock software. I "think" it might even be a bug in vhdutl but not sure.

Let me clarify another thing, I used the disks from Tim Mann, then patched with TRSTOOLS before making an image, so they are patched properly.