Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Model I - Things to check before applying power?

Quote Originally Posted by troj View Post
    Thanks - I'm new to the EI, so this is a learning experience in many ways. While the first computer I learned to program on was a Model 1, it didn't have an EI, so that's new.

If I hold down the break key when powering it on or resetting it, I get the memory prompt. Hitting enter and then typing "? MEM" I get 15572, which seems low.

-Kevin
    You'll need to look in the EI and see if there's any memory installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    You'll need to look in the EI and see if there's any memory installed.
    It does have 32K in it - both the model and there are chips installed (I had it opened earlier today).

-Kevin

There are several possibilities now. From your other thread I gather you still need to clean the edge connector? I would try that first. After that:

* The connection (at either keyboard or EI end) could still be dodgy.
    * The cable could be dodgy - this could be either the buffer chips or the wires in the cable.
    * Your EI doesn't actually need a buffered cable
    * Your EI also needs the extra timing connector.
    * Memory is dead
    * Something else on EI board is dead
    * EI is, generally, borked.

What is the model number of your EI? That will answer the points about needing/not needing a buffer or extra timing cable.

Apart from that, I would try repeating the sequence:

* Power down M1
    * Power down EI
    * Wait
    * (optionally) unplug and replug connector cable at both ends
    * Power up EI
    * Power up M1 with break key held
    * get to basic prompt and type "PRINT MEM"

See if you get a much higher number along the way. That would scream dodgy connection/cable. After that you get to the last 3 where it gets waaaaaaay more fun.

PJH

EI model number is 26-1142-1.

I assume what you refer to as the "timing cable" is the cable with the DIN connector? Both the EI and the Model 1 have those.

When I tried the "print mem" yesterday, I got 15572, but I will try it again later today.

-Kevin

It's definitely not seeing the RAM in the EI.

While reviewing this post I found that "print peek(16561)+peek(16562)*256" will display the top end of memory, 32K with no EI and 64K with a fully populated EI. I got 32767. Not good.

Of course, I still need to get those edge connectors fully cleaned. I've got stuff on order that I'm hoping will get that resolved for me, and then I'll try again.

-Kevin

Thanks to Jay, I now have a very nice OEM monitor to go with the Model 1. Works great and the case is in fantastic shape!

I got my can of Deoxit, but haven't had a chance to work on the edge connectors, so no further progress on the EI yet.

-Kevin

Continuing the story on the efforts to get this system up and running, today I had a chance to tackle the Expansion Interface. The edge connector on the Model 1 was very corroded and a pink eraser wasn't making a dent. I ordered a can of Deoxit and ended up using a yellow scotch brite pad (yellow is the least abrasive and the same I use to clean my smooth top range), followed by a pink eraser.

After cleaning the connector in the Model 1 as well as the EI, I applied power. New results than what I've had before - it didn't get a garbled screen, and memory still only shows the base 32K (RAM + ROM). So, something is still amiss.

Quote Originally Posted by troj View Post
    Thanks to Jay, I now have a very nice OEM monitor to go with the Model 1. Works great and the case is in fantastic shape!

I got my can of Deoxit, but haven't had a chance to work on the edge connectors, so no further progress on the EI yet.

-Kevin
    Thank you for the mention !!!!