Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "vintage" consoles etc.

Blog Entries

I like the original consoles like the Atari 2600, 5200 and Colecovision. I skipped the NES era and then got into the Original Playstation, XBOX, and Sega Dreamcast where I stopped.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

2. Default

did somebody say vintage consoles? All these guys are either modded for RGB or HDMI if they didnt already support it. fyi, the dreamcast is on my bench being recapped.

I started tinkering with vintage computers once I got all the consoles i really wanted.

IMG_2588.jpgIMG_2589.jpg

This is my jam. 386082_2891454168117_448083828_n.jpg

Other than some oddball stuff like an Odyssey 1 and Channel F, I think I am done. I have started moving on to CIB stuff.

I usually use Everdrive or other flash type storage devices.

Only so much space in the house!

4. Default

I'm forever joined at the hip to the Atari Jaguar. Learning how to program on it using something called Rb+ with BCX C compiler behind the scenes makes it interesting to play with and I've always wanted to program something for it. Crazy powerful but bugged RISC chips with a paltry 2MB of RAM and 4MB of cart space leaves little to be desired but there's an upcoming SD card option that will begin to make it a little more interesting in regards to massive amounts of storage space available to play with despite having such limited RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by psquare75 View Post

Other than some oddball stuff like an Odyssey 1 and Channel F, I think I am done. I have started moving on to CIB stuff.

The Gamecube interests me. I have to limit myself for the time being. Loads of stuff to move still. Haven't even plugged my "new" Genesis in yet, as I don't have a 10v brick (I think that's what it needs). All I recall is certain USR modems using 10vdc, people used 9 - 9.5 vdc. Or was it the other way around? I really need a general purpose lab power supply. But I have to slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by MindThreat View Post
    I'm forever joined at the hip to the Atari Jaguar. Learning how to program on it using something called Rb+ with BCX C compiler behind the scenes makes it interesting to play with and I've always wanted to program something for it. Crazy powerful but bugged RISC chips with a paltry 2MB of RAM and 4MB of cart space leaves little to be desired but there's an upcoming SD card option that will begin to make it a little more interesting in regards to massive amounts of storage space available to play with despite having such limited RAM.
    this is the first time I've even googled the Jag. The 2 risc processors are for graphics and sound? Just a guess.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by psquare75 View Post

Nice setup, and respect on the CRT. I’m finding that trying to run mine to an LCD is more trouble than it’s worth. I spend more time tinkering with settings than playing games.

I pretty much run everything off “everdrives” as well, but I still collect games because I can’t help myself.

Also, I keep my model of the Enterprise on top of my Tandy SX’s monitor.
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TL3/RLHD, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for a 1000TX mobo, EX/HX Serial / Parallel cards, and that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPoobah View Post
    Nice setup, and respect on the CRT. I’m finding that trying to run mine to an LCD is more trouble than it’s worth. I spend more time tinkering with settings than playing games.

I pretty much run everything off “everdrives” as well, but I still collect games because I can’t help myself.

Also, I keep my model of the Enterprise on top of my Tandy SX’s monitor.
    Thanks. I've since 'expanded' a bit and moved to the basement and that's in progress.

I find it's easier to deal with the bulky TV vs trying to get old consoles to look right on modern screens.

I really only 'collect' pre NES cartridges and games.. and CIB Pre Windows 95 IBM PC games/software.

Space becomes a premium item REALLY fast.

Scammed a Nintendo 64 setup at the thrift store. Total bill -7$!! Also an old Magellan gps, 8$. And last but not least Photos hop Elements W2K/XP era, 3$. Some haul ay? 3 of the 4 games work. Mission Impossible is the culprit, but the carts and/or console might need a cleaning. I have to hit that place more often.

You can run Linux on a Dreamcast or original XBOX. Dreamcast keyboards should be easy enough to find, and the broadband adapter for ethernet.