Image Map Image Map

Thread: Floppy boot sector corruption with PC-DOS 3.30

Default Floppy boot sector corruption with PC-DOS 3.30

I downloaded PC-DOS 3.30 from winworld, but I wonder if it is good or maybe has a virus or something. I installed it to a 30Mb hard drive and when booting it, if I do a directory on A: (1.2M) or B: (360K), it seems to damage the boot sector. Instead of 512 bytes per sector it is like 50000 something. Has anyone had this experience with PC-DOS 3.30 before?

What happens when you format a floppy?
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Blog Entries

Can you use DEBUG to grab an image of the boot sector? If you don't know how, I can furnish instructions.

Same result when formatting from PC-DOS 3.30.

Let me try to grab it.

Windows defender says it is DOS/Azusa.a...

What I did:

Made a disk image of a 360K disk, copied that from the 1.2M to a 1.44M. Tried to copy the disk image file to a windows box to grab the boot sector and Windows defender detects the virus in the image file and deletes it.

Do you recommend a known good virus scan program for DOS that will run/boot on a disk that will eliminate this? (or at least detect it!)

The English IBM PC-DOS 3.30 images look OK to me. What did you use to write the disk images? You should check whatever system that is.

The free DOS versions of McAfee or Vshield have worked well for me.

Alan, just get a clean DOS image and start over using that. MS-DOS 3.3 would be fine.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

As funny as it might be, I wonder if the virus was on the old hard 30Mb hard drive of the AT I bought! I even formatted it and reinstalled DOS, but perhaps not before putting in a disk to get infected by it first!

DOS 6.22 MSAV can find and has been removing it. I've scanned all the 5.25" disks I've been using and about half of them were affected. Thankfully my other system only boots the 1.44MB drive.

On the upside, my floppy drive change line problems have gone away so they must have been a remnant of of the virus. MSAV called it hong kong.