Image Map Image Map

Thread: Test MCE2VGA on convert MDA signal CRT 9"

Default Test MCE2VGA on convert MDA signal CRT 9"

Hello, friends

I assembled a retro MCE2VGA kit from the CocomDemus site to convert video signal from an old industrial CLP. But I'm not getting the VGA output.
    Monitor Is CRT tube 9" monochrome.
    Could someone tell me what I should do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does this machine actually output an MDA spec signal?
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by cegonha View Post
    I assembled a retro MCE2VGA kit from the CocomDemus site
    Did you build it your self or buy it? If the last, where?

I googled for it and CocomDemus is a typo. But when using "Coco Demus" I only found videos, no shop. There is Serdashop but they don't have it yet. Many thanks in advance!
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

This is the developer Coco Demus's site https://sites.google.com/site/tandyc...cga-ega-to-vga

You can just order the Gerber files to be made to PCBs from your favorite PCB service like JLCPCB or dirtyPCBs or OSHPARK etc.... I've used iteadstudio alot in the past with few issues for larger pitch parts but they seem to have problems aligning my solder mask for finer pitched stuff.

Then just order the chips / parts and solder away... just be ware that soldering that FPGA and ram will be moderately challenging.

Stupid question but did you program the FPGA?

Blog Entries

Use an oscilliscope to measure the frequency of the HSync and VSync pins.
    You may need to tweak the firmware if it's non-standard.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post
    This is the developer Coco Demus's site https://sites.google.com/site/tandyc...cga-ega-to-vga
    Thank you! My first thought was that I had to solder everything and I also wondered why the design had a daughterboard. But seeing the site I realized that the FPGA part could be bought as-so.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cb88 View Post

You can just order the Gerber files to be made to PCBs from your favorite PCB service like JLCPCB or dirtyPCBs or OSHPARK etc.... I've used iteadstudio alot in the past with few issues for larger pitch parts but they seem to have problems aligning my solder mask for finer pitched stuff.

Then just order the chips / parts and solder away... just be ware that soldering that FPGA and ram will be moderately challenging.
    The FPGA comes soldered to it's board, but yes the SRAM chip takes some skill and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    Thank you! My first thought was that I had to solder everything and I also wondered why the design had a daughterboard. But seeing the site I realized that the FPGA part could be bought as-so.
    I've assembled and sold a bunch of these. Anyone that wants one, but doesn't have the skill or patience or desire to learn SMD soldering can PM me and we can work something out. Especially if you supply ALL of the parts.

Regards,

Greg