Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Pentium 4 motherboard with univeral AGP or AGP2x slot

I have a P4 motherboard that came out of an IBM desktop. But it's AGP Pro 1.5v... it is a 478b board and has 5 PCI slots (2 using a riser board). I know it's not really what you need but maybe someone else could use it.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    Doing a fast 3DFX Glide build?
    *SIGH* no. As I've already said, I need the SSE2 instruction set. I already have a dual 1.4 GHz tualatin rig, speed is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by xjas View Post
    Shipping to you should be about $20-25, make me an offer on top of that? I was saving it for my own Voodoo3 project although I've got some Socket A boards that will do the same job.
    I was going to question the steep shipping but saw you were in Canada. I'll keep the board in mind, but see if there's anything closer first.

^^ interesting... what GPU are you planning to run then? I thought 3DFX stuff were the only (desirable) cards that were picky about 2X / 3.3V. Curious what you would need SSE2 AND a 3.3V slot for.

I might have overestimated the shipping a little, it was just a guess based on some stuff I've sent out recently but this board is pretty light. If you want to PM me your zip code I can get you an actual quote. It probably won't be *much* cheaper than that though.
    Last edited by xjas; July 12th, 2018 at 12:09 PM.

It's a Voodoo5 5500.

I need SSE2 because the Half-Life engine was recompiled in 2013 against modern libraries, and like the genius programmers at Valve always do, screw something up. Modern HL builds require SSE2, something that neither the Pentium 3 or Athlon XP have.

I may have found a board that will work, it should be here in a few days.

Gotcha. Do those new builds of HL still support Glide? I would've thought it would be removed with all the other "legacy" support.

Not really relevant to what you're doing, but I installed original Half-Life off my 1998 GOTY CD onto my "modern" gaming PC running a Q9300 + Win7 + GTX 750Ti. It worked totally fine straight out of the box. I was expecting some issues to solve but nope. I've got a super-early release of Half-Life 2 on 4 CD-ROMs(!) to play around with now too.

Half-Life never supported Glide. 3dfx supported Half-Life through a "MiniGL" driver, which was the bare minimum implementation of OpenGL required to make the game function. Most video card vendors in the 90s had some form of a minigl driver.

Direct 3D support was dropped in 2013, but it was no real loss since the D3D renderer was always an ugly experimental hack that never worked properly. It didn't implement fog, and also didn't support NPOT textures; Meaning that any texture not based on a power of two was clamped and smeared, resulting in an ugly mess. It was commonly abused in TFC and CS to remove water fog and give players an advantage on maps with lots of water (canalzone, rock2 and well come to mind on TFC.)

The final WON release of Half-Life (1.1.1.0) has several nasty bugs, one of the biggest being a broken depth buffer that leads to Z fighting in large open areas. There are some denial of service exploits for servers as well, but since the WIN network is long dead, running one isn't possible.

...And I'm back to looking for a board.

The Ebay board arrived dead, which I should have figured because every single board I've ever tried from there has been dead, either because the seller lies or doesn't give a flying toss about packaging it properly (the latter in this case.)

It came with a 2-3 pound Zalman cooler and the genius left it attached to the board when shipping it, leaving no room for padding above or below it. It was likely crushed and suffered internal trace damage or broken BGA joints. I'm shipping the junk back for a full refund.

I found a working Pentium 4 board with AGP 2x finally, and after a lot of trouble, got it up and running:

Since the seller of the previous Ebay board let me keep everything, I reused the heatsink and CPU (a P4 1.8 ) and it worked fortunately, because it's the fastest P4 I have that will work in this board.

Unfortunately, I ran into more problems. The V5 5500 causes the machine to be unstable in games and crash with green jail bars if SLI is enabled. I think the instability is related to the capacitors being bad because I pulled a few off and they all had really high ESR (10-40 ohms.) I'm in the process of recapping it, and it reminded me how much I hate SMD capacitors. The twist and pull method gets them off easy enough, but the base and left over legs are still annoying to remove. I'm using radial caps with the legs formed in L shapes as replacements since I don't feel like ordering and waiting for a SMD cap kit.

Blog Entries

I'm not surprised. Some of the higher-end AGP boards seem to develop issues as they age.

I've got a WinFASST board, fans and additional power connector that seems to run just fie on a P4, but then hangs as it warms up. A mess of SMT, so I'm not going to troubleshoot it.

Blog Entries

Probably around the time they switched from lead to non-lead solder and some solder joints are breaking as the board warms up.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems