Image Map Image Map

Thread: Computer graphics books - good stuff!

Default Computer graphics books - good stuff!

And cheap! BASIC, C++, FORTRAN. What's your interest?

Any of the above! Got a list?
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Long before GPUs, any efficiencies you could squeeze out of the CPU translated into algorithmic performance on the display. So really in main stream publishing Michael Abrash pushed the limits of what you could read and learn off the shelf. Any of his Zen book series or his 'Graphics Programming Black Book' are worthy to pick-up.

Lots of techniques and specific information could be gleaned from text files on BBSs and later hanging out in #coders on irc.eff.net; or even just watching the graphic demo scene evolve.

I learned a lot about the fundamentals of graphics/optical mathematics from 'Introduction to Computer Graphics' by Foley, Van Dam, Feiner, Hughes, & Phillips (c) 1990 Addison Wesley.
    (Edit: This is an abridged version of the larger original text: 'Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C' by the same set of authors.)

Another book I still pick-up today as a reference is the 'Programmer's Guide to the EGA, VGA, and Super VGA Cards' by Ferraro.
    Last edited by eeguru; July 11th, 2018 at 08:47 PM.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

In all likelihood if you aren't already schooled in graphics programming at any level you'd need to read other stuff before Abrash, and you're right his books are the tweakers go to manuals in terms of performance issues. The above are more about modeling concepts, 3d, rendering, etc. And likely prerequisite material if you want to get that heavy with early graphics cards.

I also have this, 5$ + shipping (FORTRAN centric):

https://www.amazon.com/Developing-Th.../dp/0824777913

Photo 3 and 4 are spoken for.