Image Map Image Map

Thread: Run Time Error R6001 when running DOSSHELL

Blog Entries

Default Run Time Error R6001 when running DOSSHELL

This is a low-priority issue for me, since I don't normally run DOSSHELL, but it worries me all the same. Upon running DOSSHELL on my 1984 PC AT running IBM DOS 5, I get the following error after all directories are loaded:
    20180711_231835.jpg

According to this Microsoft KB article, this error occurs when "The DOSSHELL.EXE file cannot be found on your disk, or there is not enough free memory in your system for the program". However, on my AT, I have 590kB of conventional memory.
    20180711_232053.jpg

Additionally, DOSSHELL.EXE, COMMAND.COM, and DOSSWAP.EXE are all present!
    20180711_232258.jpg

Based on the DOSSHELL.SWP timestamp, the last time I ran DOSSHELL was in November 2016, and I don't recall any issues back then. Renaming DOSSHELL.SWB doesn't change anything.

Has anyone seen an issue like this before w/ DOSSHELL where there's sufficient memory _and_ both COMMAND.COM and DOSSHELL.EXE can be found? I wonder if there is bitrot/hard errors on the hard drive in the AT...
    Looking for: Needham's Electronics PB-10 Microcontroller Adapter (yes, still looking after 2 years :P).

Blog Entries

R6001 is a null pointer assignment (Microsoft C).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    R6001 is a null pointer assignment (Microsoft C).
    Does this imply that DOSSHELL was written in C, or did MASM also come with such a runtime?

Why would assigning a NULL pointer cause an error (as opposed to accessing it)? That's perfectly legal in C world, often used to denote, say, the end of a linked list...
    Looking for: Needham's Electronics PB-10 Microcontroller Adapter (yes, still looking after 2 years :P).

Blog Entries

I wonder if you have a corrupt EXE.

Blog Entries

MSC runtime has an interesting way of detecting storing into a null pointer. When loaded, it sets a constant in DS:0000. It checks that location on certain library calls and throws an error if DS:[0000] changes. The problem is that it's not detected until a system or library call happens, so it's not trapping the violation when it occurs, but sometime afterward. This isn't bad when you're debugging source code, but if you don't have that, it can be nearly impossible to determine the cause.

It could be a corrupted binary--at least that's a good starting point.

Blog Entries

Or corrupted memory. Couldn't hurt to do a thorough memory test.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)