Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help identify CPU

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    486s didn't need heatsinks until 40-50 MHz.
    I had an Intel 486 DX-50MHz (not a DX2!) and it hadn't heatsink....

Quote Originally Posted by Naguissa View Post
    I had an Intel 486 DX-50MHz (not a DX2!) and it hadn't heatsink....
    It was running smokin' hot then.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    It was running smokin' hot then.
    I remember burning my fingertip when I touched it while working....

But still it was reliable. Even 4+ years after buying it, when Pentium 200MHz+, PCI (this machine was Vesa Local Bus) and Windows 95 were the norm, and I was using Windows 3.11, Win32S and WinG to try running modern applications on its scarce resources...

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cb2000 View Post
    I'll hold onto it then. Being that these thing were glued on though what kind of glue do you think I could use to glue another one back on?
    Safest bet -- and it would do double duty for you -- would be Arctic Silver's thermal adhesive.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...l_adhesive.htm

I've used it on aftermarket video RAMsinks on Radeon 9xxx series boards a lot, since if you bother putting sinks on them you can usually get another 15% memory clock off them. It's how my old Radeon 9500 Pro in the Athlon era ran circles around the 9800's.

Would probably be far more efficient than whatever Intel used.

But then, more efficient than what Intel used is still going on. See the whole "de-lidding" thing. I cracked the lid off my i7 4770k and replaced the thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut (after conformal coating) and now set to 4.4ghz overclock my idle temps are 5C over ambient (in a 19C temperature controlled room) and peaks after running prime95 for an hour are at 55C... and those temps are on a air cooler -- admittedly a big bad Phantek TC-14PE. That's a full 10C drop at idle and 30C drop under load over the stock TIM between the die and spreader and TX-4 between the spreader and sink.

Fun times.
    From time to time the accessibility of a website must be refreshed with the blood of owners and designers. It is its natural manure.
    CUTCODEDOWN.COM