Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM 5155 dead

Default IBM 5155 dead

I picked up an old IBM 5155 to add to my collection, It's a bit dirty but complete and should clean up quite nicely, With a manufacture date of 1st june 1984, Only trouble is it's dead as a door nail, I haven't pulled it apart yet but anyone know if these had any major problems apart from the usual shorted tants.

Thanks

What it means "dead"? You must find faulty component and focus on repairing. If there is faulty motherboard, its no so bad, its usual IBM XT mobo, you can repair it or at worst replace it. Its worse if are dead monitor or PSU, this two things are special for this computer and are hard to find separately.
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5154 monitor, IBM EGA Graphics Memory Expansion Card, IBM PC screws,
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Blog Entries

Look Here. I've seen many (more that three) shorted tantalum caps in 5155s and 5160s(same motherboard). First, remove the cga card, then see if it will power up. There is a cap on it, I think C8, that is a common failure.

Quote Originally Posted by romanon View Post
    What it means "dead"?....
    Dead is dead, Flick the power switch and nothing, Totally Deceased.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Dead is dead, Flick the power switch and nothing, Totally Deceased.
    That's a classic symptom of a shorted cap. Please see my previous post #3

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Look Here. I've seen many (more that three) shorted tantalum caps in 5155s and 5160s(same motherboard). First, remove the cga card, then see if it will power up. There is a cap on it, I think C8, that is a common failure.
    Yeah been there many times, Found 1 shorted Tant on the +12v line, all i've done is snipped it off at the mo, It now powers up and shuts down after a short while or gets as far as booting to basic and shuts down, floppy drives are not working either, I will have to pull it apart and replace the tant and test it all on the bench.

If it shuts down after a short while that's not because of the missing tant. It's another issue.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

Yup that's what i'm thinking, I'll see how it goes once i've pulled it apart, I can test the floppy drives etc in my 5160 and if it comes to it i have a spare working motherboard i can put in, ORRRRRRR i might throw all the guts in the bin and see if i can find a pentium that i can shoe horn in and have USB and WiFi

I found out why the Floppy drives are not working, The motors in both drives seem to be working but the pulley hubs are not turning the floppy disk, The hubs in both drives are very stiff to turn, I'll try spraying some lubricant in and leave overnight but i think it's curtains for these drives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I found out why the Floppy drives are not working, The motors in both drives seem to be working but the pulley hubs are not turning the floppy disk, The hubs in both drives are very stiff to turn, I'll try spraying some lubricant in and leave overnight but i think it's curtains for these drives.
    Nah! Don't give up on those drives! The Qume drives that came it the 5155 aren't the best, but, they're highly serviceable. I have the PDF service info on my home computer if you are interested.

Greg