Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IBM 5155 dead

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    Nah! Don't give up on those drives! The Qume drives that came it the 5155 aren't the best, but, they're highly serviceable. I have the PDF service info on my home computer if you are interested.

Greg
    Thanks but i found a pdf on the net, The lube job has been a success, Both drives are now working, Tested in my 5160 and given a good work out, Also tested the controller and cable and both fine, Now on to the motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    Thanks but i found a pdf on the net, The lube job has been a success, Both drives are now working, Tested in my 5160 and given a good work out, Also tested the controller and cable and both fine, Now on to the motherboard.
    MALC, I spent over 2 years trying to repair the PSU on my 5155. Every time Id replace a component, something else would fail. The 5155 psu is a nightmare; way more convoluted than it needs to be. I ended up getting a 5160 PSU on ebay and transfered the guts into the shell of the 5155 psu case. Obviously I had to run a lead to the CRT, but that was easy and I actually had spare connectors that fit it already.
    Dont give the psu too much time and dont risk buying another one as they are prone to fail and expensive.

Thanks, i have not looked at the PSU yet but it's looking more like a PSU problem, I have replaced the tant on the motherboard and had the board powered up on the bench with no problems, I'm using a spare XT PSU to power the board and have had it running on and off all day, All ISA slots are working as they should and i have found no other problems with the board. i'll pull the PSU sometime over the weekend and have a look inside.

I don't know the history of this one, A bit dirty on the outside but surprisingly clean on the inside, At a guess given that the hubs were stiff in the floppy drives and the shorted tant i'd say it's been sat somewhere and not been used / powered up for a very long time.

Blog Entries

Have a look here. Hugo Holden seems to have a better opinion regarding the 5155 power supply than VERAULT. But if you want to replace the innards, I'd sugest using something newer and better than the 5160 PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    i'll pull the PSU sometime over the weekend and have a look inside.
    Noting per [here], not to introduce additional symptoms by inadequately loading the 5155's PSU.

I downloaded Hugo's PDF on the 5155 PSU, A very interesting read Thanks. I have removed the PSU and had a good look inside, Spotlessly clean and can't see any damage, No leaking / swollen caps, No burn marks or signs of overheating, For a 1984 PSU it's quite impressive, I connected the PSU to the original 5155 motherboard and switched on, The PSU started and ran without shutting down, I measured all output voltages and all were well within spec, P12 was a little over 24V as per Hugo's book so i turned it off as not wanting to cause any damage, I loaded P12 and switched on again and measured the voltage at a little over 12V, I've since added an old MFM hard drive to the load and the PSU has been running for about 4 Hours with no problems, All output voltages are still well within spec.

I'm not going to put it back together just yet, I'll keep trying the PSU, I'm wondering if the shutting down problem was where it has not been powered up for so long and me switching on and off has done the caps some good ??, I also want to up the memory from 256 to 640k onboard or i might just stick another 640k motherboard in.

She lives again, I've upgraded the ram on the mobo to 640k, Instead of having 2 360k floppy drives i replaced one with a 3.5" floppy drive, Still got the XT-IDE to fit but it's working fine now, I'm not keen on the internal monitor or CGA, I got a job to read whats on the screen, And the "CGA Snow", I found another CGA/Hercules 8-bit card with the composite header, Fitted that and it works in the 5155, Still got a job to read whats on the screen but at least it got rid of the snow. I'll probably end up using VGA and an LCD, Much better for my old eyes.