Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5170 and CF Card

Question IBM 5170 and CF Card

Hello, the MFM Drive in my PC/AT recently had a head crash and I want to replace it with a CF card. I happened to have a generic ISA IDE card so I decided to give that a try. However, the AT refuses to turn on with the CF card in the IDE to CF adapter. When the adapter is plugged in alone (CF card removed), the AT boots fine. I know the IDE card works because I was able to use a hard drive and two floppy drives, as well as the built in serial ports. Also, I tested the CF card and adapter in a newer PC and it was usable and formattable. Any thoughts on what Iím doing wrong, or is the AT not comparable with a CF card?

Quote Originally Posted by RHopple View Post
    However, the AT refuses to turn on with the CF card in the IDE to CF adapter.
    You mean to power up, counting the RAM, etc.? Weird. I can imagine the the AT doesn't recognize the CF card because of its weird H/C/S configuration, but not starting up at all? Again, weird.
    My Commodore PC35-III, also a 80286 machine, has no problems at all with a CF card. Note: I added the Universal BIOS on forehand.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

The AT will not even count the RAM if the adapter AND CF card are in; it will, however, count the RAM with ONLY the adapter in place. I agree, very strange behavior. I thought about replacing the BIOS, but I do not have any empty EEPROMs to burn. It’s an 8 MHz with the last IBM BIOS revision, if that helps.

The only time I've seen an IDE device cause a computer not to boot at all is if it is plugged in backwards. Check Pin 1 goes to Pin 1, other than that I'm stumped. You say the IDE controller works with a hard drive while in the AT, Correct?
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

I flipped the adapter both ways and still nothing. However, the AT will not boot with the adapter one way even without the card, confirming the other way is correct. And yes, the controller works with other drives.

I was doing some research and discovered the card may need to be forced into IDE mode, but I’m unsure how that works or how to accomplish such a task.

What CF adapter and controller are you using ?, Some of the cheap crappy chinese CF adapters don't work well with some 16-bit IDE/floppy controllers, There are other known issues when using a 'non' original IBM controller in the 5170 with IBM Bios as noted on modem7's website.

If memory serves, certain 5170 BIOS revisions won't boot without the original MFM card in. Replacing it (but leave it empty) or installing one of the after market BIOS at Minuszerodegrees may help.

Quote Originally Posted by MrArgent View Post
    If memory serves, certain 5170 BIOS revisions won't boot without the original MFM card in.
    1. After the 601 error, the user will be prompted to press F1 to continue the boot process (to hard drive or BASIC).

2. Third-party cards that are compatible are fine. The one shown at [here] is an example (although not if A: is a 360K drive).