Image Map Image Map

Thread: SB and SB clones - to trash or try to reapir...

Default SB and SB clones - to trash or try to reapir...

Hi, folks ! Decided to ask the comunity... I checked my stock of audiocards - some of them are detected by AIDA16 as "alive ones" - it detects it's IRQ/DMA settings and type of a card - but no
    sound in Doom/Wolf3d or sound is corrupted - "sounds lika a toilet" (sorry for that compariosn) ))

In the opinion of the respected community are they worth to repair - if it's just the capacitors, not the digital chips... From one hand old h-w is getting harder to find, from the other - there's nothing special - not Roland or Gravis (I have one GUS PNP - works fine) - just "common" Creative SB /SB clones like ESS, Aztech, etc... Most of them were aquired for free or beer/chocolate in 2006-2012 with other "common" x86 h-w)

I can make pictures of the faulty audiocards...
    Last edited by Sandisk78; July 13th, 2018 at 09:42 AM.

Blog Entries

If you see something obviously wrong, try to fix it. If nothing else, it will give you practical experience that will assist when fixing scarcer items.

Unfortunately, not very good sound was a common ailment with a lot of SB clones.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    If you see something obviously wrong, try to fix it. If nothing else, it will give you practical experience that will assist when fixing scarcer items.

Unfortunately, not very good sound was a common ailment with a lot of SB clones.
    Thanks ! I will defenetely try on one from a pile... As here we say "popytka ne pytka" - "a try is not a torture")

Failing capacitors can definitely cause distorted output on sound cards, but like krebizfan said, many clone cards didn't sound that great to begin with.

ESS, Crystal and Aztech were probably the worst in my experience, I had dozens of them given to me over the years. They were passable in Windows with PCM audio, but were complete junk for FM synthesis in DOS games.