Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Which 8-bit platform(s) are good for learning the BASIC programming language on?

There always seems to be some nice games for the C64 at the BASIC 10-Liners Compo, despite the trouble I have reading the BASIC. Sometimes a screenshot or video of the game in action can be of more help.

People say they want to learn a language. My take is you should set out to accomplish something, like write a game or perhaps a rudimentary cad program. You'll learn plenty that way.

Blog Entries

Or a compiler..

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Or a compiler..
    Write a compiler or use a compiler ?
    Compilers on 8 bit systems tend to be slow...

One of the nicest Basic around is S-Basic for the Kaypro but it is compile only and the compiling on the Kaypro is sloooooooooooooooow.....

If you have time to expend learning how to utilize 8 bit platforms, you clearly have all the time in the world ... besides you can play dig dug while yer shizzle is compilating. On a different 8 bit puter but of course. Unless it's a multitasking 8 bit monster. Then you want to think about running numerous emulators, simultaneously of couse. Because time is never the issue. And you may as well research cures for ... alright knock that off!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gertk View Post

One of the nicest Basic around is S-Basic for the Kaypro but it is compile only and the compiling on the Kaypro is sloooooooooooooooow.....
    Write a compiler. Not a good job for a beginner (though a custom scripting language interpreter is. But for someone more advanced there's no better way to get to know a language.

Compiling TP on the Kaypro is fast. Really, I had no trouble compiling on 8 bit systems of the time at the time, so why should it be different now?

Here's a thought, too: fast compile times make for poor programming. Why think through your code when you can compile and run and compile and run; trial and error.

Speed is relative. Future computers will be able to compile the largest package in milliseconds. So why bother compiling anything now? Just wait for faster compilers.

My unfinished 65xx assembler takes well over an hour to assemble with my assembler on an unexpanded C64. Does it bother me? Yes, when I make stupid mistakes. It's not like I sit round watching it anyway. I have a lot of things to do besides sit in front of a computer.

It's no wonder there were so few of us running Lightwave3D in 1996. It wasn't the price, nobody could fathom letting a computer render for days. It's a miracle anyone ever got anything done. It took hours or days to generate NC code back when I was a programmer. How long did it take to get ballistics data from computers during the war? We wouldn't have won if everyone thought the process was too slow.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=KC9UDX;529475 How long did it take to get ballistics data from computers during the war? We wouldn't have won if everyone thought the process was too slow.[/QUOTE]

I always found this interesting about computing artillery tables from WW2.

https://www.americanheritage.com/content/girl-computers
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by gertk View Post

If it's possible to disable the output through Compiler Directives (especially in S-BASIC), it significantly improves compile times. Turbo Pascal doesn't do that (because it doesn't output the code at compile time), though Hisoft Pascal for 8bit systems does at an acceptable speed, which can be switched off with a Compiler Directive.