Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tektronix 4051 / 4052 / 4052A / 4054 / 4054A Program Archives

Default FastGraphics4051 tape files are now archived

I have uploaded all the files I recovered from a FastGraphics4051 tape I found in Bob's Collection at Living Computer Museum+Labs in Seattle to my github archive:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/FastGraphics4051

Since the original program requires a 4051 with FastGraphics ROM Pack - I also uploaded a couple more subfolders in that directory:

HEX - includes the DATA TEXT files captured with RealTerm replacing all the bytes with a pair of HEX text characters. The data files are 7-bit ASCII FastGraphics format which includes all 32 control characters - which cannot be transferred easily over 7-bit ASCII serial.

BASIC - includes my conversions of all the picture files to a BASIC program including HEX data statements - that can be viewed on any 4051/4052/4054 computer or the 4051 web-based emulator without any ROM PACK - although considerably slower speed than with the ROM Pack.

SCREENSHOTS - this subfolder includes screenshots from running each of the BASIC picture programs on the 4051 web-based emulator.

Bump.jpg CheshireCat.jpg DarthVader.jpg DeathStar.jpg Dragon.jpg Grinch.jpg LaserGun.jpg

MickeyMouse.jpg Nurd.jpg R2D2.jpg Snoopy.jpg TekBug.jpg Wizzard.jpg

I also created a README.MD file in that folder with instructions on how to view the picture files with a 4051R12 or 4052R12 Graphics Expansion ROM Pack.

Monty

PS - I don't know who "Michael" is in the Grinch picture - but the Tektronix developer of that tape and FastGraphics ROM Pack (Zetopan) likely knows
    Last edited by nikola-wan; September 23rd, 2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added dragon screenshot

I recovered a Snowflake program from another old tape.

comments indicate it was based on Tekniques Vol 1 No 10 post.

Here is the screenshot:Snowflakes.jpg

The program is now on my archive site in this folder - and runs on any 4050 computer or the 4051 web-browser based emulator:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/Games

Monty

Default Tekniques Vol.6 No.4 T1 - 062-6704-00 Documentation found and scanned

I found the Tekniques Vol 6 No 4 Tape T1 documentation which included the 4052A Assembler documentation in the microfiche collection on VintageTek.org partial inventory list:

https://vintagetek.org/microfiche-scans/

I contacted them about seeing if the three "4050 Application Program" microfiches in their partial inventory included Tekniques Vol 6 No 4 T1 documentation - and they found it - and scanned it with their new scanner.

The complete scan of that entire set of documentation for all 17 programs for that tape is now posted on the TekWiki "4050" webpage: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/4050

http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/e/e1/Tekniques_vol6_no4 T1 062-6704-00.pdf

I have already posted all the program files from this tape on my github repository for Tektronix 4050 Program Files in this folder:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/TekniquesVol6No4-T1

This folder also includes my scan of the Abstracts of the 17 programs on this tape.

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; November 4th, 2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: corrected the title

Default Tektronix 4050 RPN Calculator Program

I have just uploaded a new program to my Tektronix 4050 program archive site - an RPM Calculator program:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...and_Calculator

I typed this program in from a Tektronix Application Library listing I received from Al Kossow - thanks Al!!

The program title is "Hand Calculator" and it is Tektronix 4050 Application Library number 51/00-6001-00, and the author was "Brian Diehm".

I scanned the instructions and posted them in the folder with the program.

I also created a user definable key overlay image and posted it in that folder.

The program runs on my 4054A and Dave Robert's (and Jon B Stanley's) 4051 web-browser based Emulator:
    https://github.com/jonbstanley/Tek405xEmulator

I also tried it on Brad Srebnik's 4051 Simulator - but the current version cannot handle the % sign. Brad reports that he has a newer version that can run this program too.

The developer decided to completely map 40 calculator keys (which included shifted keys) to the ten Tektronix 4050 user definable keys - and extended the number of commands to 40 by defining Shift-UDK5 to get an additional 20 keys.

Here is a picture of the UDK overlay I created - from the list of keys on page 22 of the instructions.
    I color coded the second set of 20 keys in GREEN.

Hand_Calculator_RPN_Overlay.jpg

Monty

Default TransEra ROM Packs for Tektronix 4052/4054

I created a new folder on my github repository for Transera ROM Packs:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...sEra_ROM_Packs

I have a separate thread on vcfed for recovering these ROM Packs:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...onix-4052-4054

Default Inventory of Living Computer Museum Tektronix 4050 collection of docs/tapes/disks

I have been remiss in posting my spreadsheet of the inventory of Bob Rosenbloom's donation to LCM of dozens of boxes of Tektronix 4050 manuals / tapes / and floppy disks.

Here is the link to my spreadsheet inventory of that collection on my 4050 Program Archives site:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/BobRosenbloomTekCollectionInventory-Oct15_2018.xlsx

I was only able to inventory 35 boxes in one day. There are dozens more boxes that contain 4050 tapes that have not been inventoried.

Anyone in the Seattle area that would be able to inventory the boxes with tapes?

Most of the tapes are wrapped with printouts listing the files inside.

Ones that I think are the most valuable are the ones with printed Tektronix labels - like Tekniques programs or Tektronix software tapes.

In addition the LCM has a couple of Tektronix 4051 computers that are untested. They could put a computer on exhibit if someone would donate some time to see if it worked - and fix it if it doesn't.

Monty

Default Air Defense 4051 Game

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    After extensive internet searching - I found a treasure trove collection of 187 Tektronix 4050 program documents - most in original Tektronix binders with tapes and some with floppy disks. This collection was in 34 book boxes, with another 20 or so boxes - each containing 70 to 100 tapes!

I just finished replacing the broken drive belts and posting the recovered files from four tapes that I have on loan from the museum on my github archive in the following folders:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/TekniquesVol6No1-T1

[/U]

Monty
    Full documentation for one of the Tekniques tapes: Vol6 No1 Tape T1 has just been scanned by the Living Computer Museum at my request.

I have created a new folder - including the complete documentation.

Location of the new folder:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...iques_Vol6_No1

I also decided to leave the file captures unedited - as the embedded control characters are needed to run on actual 4051 / 4052 / 4054 computers. The older archive directory includes files edited to be compatible with the 4051 web browser based emulator.

It certainly helps to have the full documentation - some of these programs must be copied to a different tape or 8 inch floppy - and that process is described in the front of the document.

I have also renamed all the files in this folder to be more descriptive, based on the documentation - not just the labels on the tape file headers.

I also noted that the FILE1 Menu program was not recovered - and was damaged by the old drive belt removing the oxide from the tape when I replaced the drive belt

Also - my tape file recovery process last fall did NOT capture the binary data files on the tape - and these are noted in my file names.

The last program on the tape is an Air Defense game - designed as a simulator for the Navy to measure response time of the missile operators. I also included a document I found on the web by the authors of the "Air Defense" game. This game was at the end of that tape - but not listed in the abstract I had posted, but fully documented in the complete PDF file.

Here is the abstract of Air Defense from the complete documentation:

The Air Defense Game is an interactive scenario in which the player defends his ship by launching missiles against incoming enemy targets. The 4050 simulates a radar screen with the player's ship at the center and enemy raids entering from the periphery.

Difficulty level is selected by menu, and a summary of the player's performance (including a skill rating) is displayed after each engagement. Performance data are stored in binary files. An off-line analysis program assesses the performance in greater detail
    Here is a picture of the Game screen from the documentation:

I am interested in running the Air Defense game - but it requires a Micro Works FP-51 ROM PACK. I cannot find any documentation for that ROM Pack on the web, although I did find some info on Micro Works, including some 6800 products for the SWPTC 6800.

There are 15 CALLs to this ROM Pack in the Air Defense program - only two CALLs have parameters.

Code:
    Line 120: 940 CALL "FLASH"
    	Line 137: 1110 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 145: 1190 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 176: 1500 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 181: 1550 CALL "DFLASH",X,Y
    	Line 210: 1840 CALL "FLASH"
    	Line 226: 2000 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 231: 2050 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 239: 2130 CALL "XFLASH"
    	Line 242: 2160 CALL "DFLASH",K3,L3
    	Line 246: 2200 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 254: 2280 CALL "FLASH"
    	Line 266: 2400 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 308: 2820 CALL "MFLASH"
    	Line 372: 3460 CALL "MFLASH"
    The second puzzle in understanding the program is FNX function calls - there is no "DEF FN" statement in the program defining that call. I can only imagine the FP-51 ROM Pack provides the definition.

Code:
    Line 138: 1120 A1=FNX(4)
    	Line 139: 1130 A8=FNX(1)+9
    	Line 140: 1140 W=FNX(1)
    	Line 177: 1510 X=SIN(FNX(3.6))*Z0+T7
    	Line 178: 1520 Y=COS(FNX(3.6))*Z0+50
    	Line 227: 2010 F3=(2*X9-1)*(SIN(FNX(4))*P3+T7)
    	Line 228: 2020 G3=COS(FNX(4))*P3+50
    Hopefully someone can help me figure out what this ROM Pack does.

The Greitzer article I posted in the folder indicates:

The program is written in extended BASIC (Tektronix, 1976) for the 4051 desktop computer with 32K bytes of memory. The peripheral FP-51 ROM pack1 is required for high-speed graphic and mathematical operations.
    The quote has a note 1. with MicroWorks, P.O. Box 1110, Del Mar, California 92014.

I had more luck with searching for "Micro Works" instead - but no luck in finding anything about the FP-51 ROM Pack.

Default Tekniques Vol 7 No 4 T2 files uploaded - this time with full documentation

I just received another Tektronix Tekniques scan from the Living Computer Museum - this time for the Volume 7 Number 4 - Tape T2 complete documentation.

Since my previous archive of this tape last year had all the programs edited to be compatible with the 405x emulator - I once again went back to my original captured files - and created a new folder compatible with the actual 4051/4052/4054 computers at:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektron...l7_No4_Tape_T2

I also used the complete documentation scan to label all the files - including overlay files for some programs.

This documentation scan is completely different that the partial scan of the 4051 Assembler that I posted in the 4051 Assembler folder and may be a bit clearer on the ROM entry points as it is a scan of the original documentation, where the Assembler scan was from microfiche.

One of the other interesting programs on this tape is the TM5000 Instrument Check program. I actually have a TM5000 and several of the instruments and will try out this program.

Default General Utilities Tape 1 Volume 1 - new recovered files

I can't read the first files on my General Utilities tape, but I got a second copy and did a complete tape dump of all the files including headers and SECRET files

posted on my github repository in this folder:

https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/GeneralUtilities_Tape1_No27

Here is a README.md I created describing the files in this folder:

I also renamed all the ASCII programs from the file header information captured in the tapedump.

Too bad we haven't figured out the SECRET encryption scheme - the SECRET programs on this tape are for the BASIC editor. Maybe they used the CALL "EXEC" routine of the 4051.

You can see interesting artifacts in the tapedump file - leftover remnants of previous recordings, whole empty file blocks with the header, etc.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by nikola-wan; August 11th, 2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correct

Default Tektronix 4052/4054 - CAD Drafting Program

I just received five 8 inch Tektronix 4050 program disks and four DC300 program tapes from the Living Computer Museum in Seattle - under loan agreement - to recover and post the programs for everyone from my github repository.

There are duplicates of the first two disks - and the third disk with no label only has small 3KB binary files. From the filenames - I suspect these small files are just the label data for various application library tapes and disks - no programs
    The tapes include "Programming Aids - T1" and "Programming Aids - T2". One of the programs I'm interested in on those tapes is a FORTRAN to Tek 4050 BASIC converter program.

First I wanted to look at the Application Library Floppy Disk titled "CAD D1"

Here is the first page of the abstract for the CAD D1:

I put the CAD D1 floppy disk into my 4907 File Manager, turned on my 4054A (which has 64MB of RAM), initialized the File Manager with the SETTIM command, mounted disk 0 and then ran the Drafting Program:

Code:
    OLD "@DRAFTING/PROGRAM"

then loaded the demo file with:

PDB DEMO

And got this screen - with a small prompt ">" on the left side of the screen:

I will be capturing the program and data files and posting them to my github repository later today in a new folder, along with the full documentation scanned by the Living Computer Museum.