Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Latest score: Compaq Portable 486c

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    Very nice! Definitely need to find me one of these someday. I’m a huge Compaq fan (as If that’s not obvious by my username).

    You have confirmed my suspicion about leaky caps being the cause of the very common “white LCD” problem on these.
    I realize the machine is 26-27 years old but I have a 47 year old Sony stereo and many vintage computers in their 30s that all the caps were fine in. It may be a issue with the caps or the LCD design IMO that causes them to fail sooner than other vintage equipment. All the caps were leakers, no sign of pressure problems or bulging. They appear to short when finally dried out, dragging down the power rail supplied by the video card. A transistor on the video card got so hot it started desoldering itself, but I tested it and it's fine. I replaced them with 1 step higher voltage across the board.

    I use all my machines periodically to ensure I'm keeping the alu oxide up in the caps. As many of you know caps need to be used once in awhile to be kept healthy.
    Last edited by norm8332; July 16th, 2018 at 01:21 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    451

    Default

    Fascinating! I didn't even know there was another past the 386. Great find!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    I use all my machines periodically to ensure I'm keeping the alu oxide up in the caps. As many of you know caps need to be used once in awhile to be kept healthy.
    I did not know about this. How often is once in a while? monthly, quarterly, yearly?

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cb2000 View Post
    I did not know about this. How often is once in a while? monthly, quarterly, yearly?
    It is usually buried in spec sheets.. Usage avoids the need for reformation. A few hours of on time every three-four years should keep them viable. It is best summarized here:

    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50530

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norm8332 View Post
    It is usually buried in spec sheets.. Usage avoids the need for reformation. A few hours of on time every three-four years should keep them viable. It is best summarized here:

    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50530
    Thanks for that, every few years is all good. I was a bit worried because some old things I have don't get turned on for months.

  6. #16

    Default

    Is Wiki correct in that it states the computer has two EISA slots (as opposed to ISA slots)?
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    Is Wiki correct in that it states the computer has two EISA slots (as opposed to ISA slots)?
    That’s correct. Have a look at this:

    https://books.google.com/books?id=8j...0world&f=false

    Check out that price too!
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    That’s correct. Have a look at this:

    https://books.google.com/books?id=8j...0world&f=false

    Check out that price too!
    Thanks for the linkage! Man the Dolch had six EISA slots.... You could use that as a mini-server!
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •