Image Map Image Map

Thread: need Help with Terminal program for Apple II plus

Default need Help with Terminal program for Apple II plus

So I have found visiterm disk images and once I load them up the apple goes into 80 column mode but I cant do much else. I cant find any settings for this and from what I read it doesnt support the Super Serial Card II which I am trying to use to connect to other computers.

I found a slew of ASCII express disk images as well but most of them only show garbage on the screen.

Every copy of proterm I have found loads to a point and says "you need a 65C02 processor to use this program"

Im at a loss, I didnt realize how few terminal programs there are for the apple II.

Again, I am trying to use a Super serial II card on an Apple II plus to connect to other various computers.
    Does anyone have any advice or info?

thanks.

You could try terminal mode of your SSC if it's bog-standard comms you're trying to do.

Not sure what you mean by bog standard comms. I need to change the baudrate and such. And what is terminal mode?

edit: Just want to point out this is a new Super Serial Card II. I have never used it and need to test it out as well.

Get yourself a copy of the SSC user's manual and read up on it. Depending on the version, the section on terminal mode lives in different places. Several versions are here:
    ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple...r_serial_card/

Edit:
    Also of interest:
    https://sites.google.com/site/drjohn...ews/apple2/ssc
    Last edited by david__schmidt; July 16th, 2018 at 12:13 PM.

ill do that, thanks.

BTW any difference between the SSC and the SSC II? the links you posted dont mention the SSC II so I was wondering is it still applicable.

Blog Entries

Sadly Proterm requires 128k. Even if you put a 65c02 in your ][+ (I have), Proterm will not run.

I got spoilt over the years using other computers. I finally successfully connected my ][+ to ttyE1 on a NetBSD server once (forget which software I used on the Apple) and had that sudden slap self on the forehead moment when I remembered how hard it is to use mixed case on my ][+. (If I had to do it today I don't even recall how anymore.)

thats surprising, I figured apple fans would have this in the bag. I hear so much about old apple II bbs's. Geez how were they doing it?

Blog Entries

I'm not sure that I ever connected to anything via modem with a ][. If anything maybe a ||GS (rev 0).

I did spend a lot of time online with C64s, PC/PC-XT/PC-AT/clones, and Amigas.

The most I've done with an Apple and RS232 is use ADT.

I did know one guy that was popular on local BBSs using a //c in the late 90s. I don't know any details of what he was using otherwise. I got to see his computer setup, but don't recall seeing him use it.

9. Default

A couple of years ago, when I needed a very basic, no frills, 80 column 110 baud TTY terminal emulation program for an Apple II. I ended up writing my own. I was pretty surprised that I couldn't find something off the shelf that would do the job. I couldn't find anything with true TTY emulation, and I had some performance constraints that the usual terminal scroll functions failed to meet. I think I posted source code on my blog at some point.

regards,
    Mike Willegal

10. Default

Try DCOM 3.21. Use of this terminal emulator is documented in Chapter 10 of The New Apple II User's Guide.