Image Map Image Map

Thread: Modifying an SBC 6120 to connect to an ASR 33 teletype

Default Modifying an SBC 6120 to connect to an ASR 33 teletype

If you have an SBC 6120 and want to connect it to a ASR 33 teletype, you need to convert the computer to run at 110 baud with 7 data bits, even parity and 2 stop bits.

The SBC 6120 does not offer configuration options for any of this, but can be modified relatively easily.

The serial port is driven by a 4.9152MHz 4 pin TTL oscillator. This oscillator is divided down and jumpers select one of four speeds, the slowest of which is 300 baud.

If you swap the oscillator for a 1.8432MHz part from the same maker, then the 300 baud jumper will give you 111.6 baud speed.

The serial port is implemented with a Harris 6204 UART and a MAX 232. The UART is capable of supporting the teletype configuration, but the SBC board hardwires it to 8 bit, no parity, 1 stop bit.

If you carefully bend out pins 35, 36 and 38 of the UART, you can change the configuration by wiring them to the appropriate state. I wired these pins through a slide switch allowing me to switch between 8-n-1 and 7-e-2. Pins 35 and 38 are tied together - if connected to VCC you get 8-n and if you connect them to ground you get 7-e. Pin 36 wired to ground gets you 1 stop bit and tied to VCC provides 2 stop bits.

This is tested and works great - the RS232 output of the SBC put through an RS232 to current loop box (I used a Telebyte 65) but pretty much any optoisolated converter will work.

Blog Entries

Hi Carl,

Good to see you in the DEC forum - thanks for posting this info.
    Last edited by jackrubin; July 17th, 2018 at 02:45 AM.