Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern-ish OS for Pentium systems...

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    As already mentioned, 9x unfortunately doesn't seem to want to get along with this particular system - I had to re-run the installer a good dozen times before finally getting it to finish without cacking itself, and twice it actually finished only to then constantly crash while attempting to boot from the newly installed system.
    If Windows is crashing that much, its likely you have hardware problems. You should run a memory test if you haven't already, and try a different PSU. If the PSU has a dirty output (ie. high ripple or out of spec voltage on the rails) then it can cause all sorts of erratic behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    and my system is too old to boot from CD natively...
    https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Hey John,

I've been following your threads about the board I sent you. I picked that up at a garage sale and it seemed to be in great physical condition, but that said have you run some diag and torture tests on that board? I never did test it myself. I find it very odd you are having so much trouble with Windows 95 installs and I smell a fault somewhere or at least a conflict. Can you at least get into the Win95 device manager to see if it's clean?

Edit: GiGaBiTe beat me to it, ^^^^^ but exactly my thoughts as well.
    Last edited by liqmat; July 18th, 2018 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If Windows is crashing that much, its likely you have hardware problems. You should run a memory test if you haven't already, and try a different PSU. If the PSU has a dirty output (ie. high ripple or out of spec voltage on the rails) then it can cause all sorts of erratic behavior.
    I suppose I ought to try this anyway, but I think I'm taking a pass on 95 in any case; nothing else I've tried was anywhere near that unstable, even the ones that had issues of their own. And DOS (and various games running under it) runs perfectly stably.

Now this is nifty, though! Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I've installed Windows 95 on many, many systems over the years. The only times I ever had it predictably crash was due to hardware failure, and the fact that DOS is working fine gives credit to that case.

Some of the capacitor plague machines I've dealt with would run DOS with almost no issues, but would roll over and die if you attempted to load any more advanced OS like Windows or Linux. A similar situation can be said about bad memory, I've had machines with very bad RAM able to boot DOS and work fine since it rarely ever touched the bad memory locations. Windows can also deal with bad memory (and even bad memory controllers in some cases), but Linux will kernel panic in the boot process if even a few duff bits are present.

I had a Dell PE2550 a number of years ago which had a bad memory controller. No matter how much memory was installed, the last 8 MB of the memory map always had failures, which caused Linux to fail booting. Windows ran fine and dandy, I could just mask off the upper 8 MB of memory in the boot options, but Linux wasn't so forgiving.