Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM PS/2 Model 70 Restoration

Default IBM PS/2 Model 70 Restoration

Hello all!

I have recently acquired an IBM PS/2 Model 70 in working order, aside from the typical CMOS battery failure and configuration loss. I was wondering what people typically do for modern replacement batteries with the model 70s, and I was also wondering where I might find a copy of the reference diskette, as well as any possible diagnostic diskettes so I can see what still works on the machine and what doesn't.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

There are camera batteries that are 100% compatible:

Duracell Ever Ready Panasonic Kodak Varta Ray-O-Vac Sanyo
    DL223A EL223AP CR-P2 K223LA VL223 PC223 CR-P2
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Awesome! That's about the only other thing I found, so I guess that settles that. Do I have to solder on wires myself or are the end caps removable on the old battery?

Quote Originally Posted by p4rsec View Post
    Hello all!

I have recently acquired an IBM PS/2 Model 70 in working order, aside from the typical CMOS battery failure and configuration loss. I was wondering what people typically do for modern replacement batteries with the model 70s, and I was also wondering where I might find a copy of the reference diskette, as well as any possible diagnostic diskettes so I can see what still works on the machine and what doesn't.

Thanks in advance!
    http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/8573/8573-P70.html

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/config/refdisk.html

Ah, yeah I found those webpages after I posted this. However, I still wanted to be 100% sure on how the battery would work, e.g. how on earth to install it. I guess some soldering may be in order, unless the ends on the battery can be removed. I haven't opened it back up to look at it yet.

OH! After getting one I see it's just a drop-in replacement. That's fantastic! Now to create a ref disk floppy...