Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mag Article: 933MHz and faster PCs with Windows 98SE and ME are at risk for data loss

The only thing I know is that you should not try to install more than 512 MB RAM in a Win 9x/ME box. This would corrupt data on harddrives, make system unstable and much more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    The only thing I know is that you should not try to install more than 512 MB RAM in a Win 9x/ME box. This would corrupt data on harddrives, make system unstable and much more.
    Windows 9x doesn't work with more than 512mb even if you tried. You have to force it to address a smaller chunk.
    = Excellent space heater

I've installed Windows 98 SE on Asus Eee PC notebook, which has 1GB of RAM and it runs fine. Had an issue with installer which was detecting 16MB of RAM and refusing to install, but there is a switch to disable RAM check which allowed it to install.

I ran 98SE on a 1.3Ghz Athlon for several years with no problems at all. The only 'fast processor bug' which I was aware of in Windows 9x was that Windows 95 would fail to boot with AMD CPUs > 300Mhz, but Microsoft did release a patch for it.

And what a patch it was - you have a bug which is preventing Windows from booting, so naturally the patch would use a Windows-based installer! Your options were either to continually try and boot into safe mode to install the patch (this would usually eventually work after 15-20 attempts on a K6-2 400, don't know about faster CPUs), or you had to underclock down to 300Mhz so you could install the patch then dial it back up again after.

Quote Originally Posted by Simke View Post
    I've installed Windows 98 SE on Asus Eee PC notebook, which has 1GB of RAM and it runs fine. Had an issue with installer which was detecting 16MB of RAM and refusing to install, but there is a switch to disable RAM check which allowed it to install.
    Despite the conventional wisdom that the maximum is 512MB, it does seem that the practical limit is actually 1GB. I do vaguely remember installing it on a 1GB EEE PC too many years ago (although I immediately gave up on it due to a lack of drivers) and on the VM-based copy I use at present you can dial it up to 1GB with no problems. It may just be that 512MB was the maximum it was exhaustively tested with and so Microsoft couldn't guarantee how it would behave with more (possibly some systems won't work with more fitted).

I said practical limit above, because when working on a VM where you can change the RAM in 1MB increments to create configurations which couldn't exist on a real computer, you can actually push it up to about 1.1GB before it breaks. For no reason at all, I've worked out how it will behave to the MB:

To boot into safe mode, the absolute maximum is 1153MB RAM. Change it to 1154MB or higher and it will fail to boot, complaining that there isn't enough RAM!

Normal mode can actually be pushed up a little further. It will run with up to 1157MB available to windows, as in the figure that's reported by Windows. Many graphics drivers reserved a small amount of RAM which would lower the reported figure (back in the day my 512MB system would only report 511MB in Windows once the graphics drivers were installed). You can actually carry on increasing to allow for this reserved RAM. So on a VM with Sci-Tech display doctor which reserves 2MB, you can set the RAM to 1159MB and it will still work since Windows will only have 1157MB available.

From 1158MB-1257MB, it will start to boot but hang at a flashing cursor (but you can still CTRL-ALT-DEL it).

From 1258MB-1287MB, it will completely freeze during booting (no flashing cursor and requires a hard reset)

At 1288MB and greater, it will show the same message about not having enough RAM which safe mode does at 1154MB.

I really need to find more to do with my evenings!
    Last edited by cwathen; August 18th, 2018 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    I've got a caching SCSI controller, where the the manual recommends you print out a sticker to affix to the computer stating you must wait for the HDD light to go out.
    Seems a bit redundant. After all, that's why the LED is there to begin with. But I guess most people don't know that.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"