Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Mirror of Some Defunct DOS/Windows 3.x Related Sites

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CC_333 View Post
    @Trixter: Maybe, but it wouldn't be as fun!
    It would be a lot more fun for me
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Ok. Another fire happened. This one's much worse, though, so my server will be down until further notice, because I'm not home, and probably won't be for at least a few days.

c

Thank you awful kindly for saving this stuff.

I wish there were more repositories of vintage warez, shareware, for pc's and all other computers. Warez in a generic sense, I don't mean illegal evil downloads.

Remember Compuserve? I don't, but most everyone who was alive remembers Cshow and associated graphic files.

Well realistically, "warez" WAS pirated software.

If you're after shareware or other software collections, you can't beat the CD-ROM collection at archive.org - https://archive.org/details/cd-roms?&sort=-publicdate. That link is everything in one shot - there's a curated "Shareware" archive that includes a ton of ISOs of the Walnut Creek, Nightowl, and other CD-ROM collections.

CC_333: I sincerely hope you and your home make it through the fires! How large are the two sites? (what sites are they?)

tnx.

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

geneb: Fortunately, everything's safe. As of this writing the fire is the 2nd largest in California state history, which is impressive.

I had archived a few other sites, and the largest two are Dosghost and Oldfiles.org.uk.

Of course, I'm still stuck 120 miles away, so I can't get at my server.

When this is all over, would any of you consider holding onto an archive of it for me? I'll keep one myself of course, but having backups in various places increases its chance of survival in the event something like this happens.

c

I'd be happy to host mirrors on retroarchive.org.

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Prayers and blessings for those afflicted by catastrophes. Preserving people (and animals) is most important. But I'll just take a moment to point out it doesn't take a lot of money to protect certain belongings from fires. There's a product on ebay and elsewhere known as Kaowool. Haven't used it yet, but I'm of the persuasion that small items (several hard drives, a box of dvds) wrapped in the stuff should easily withstand the temperatures of a house fire. Of course more investigation might be needed. Items would also needed to be protected from falling debris, water, chemicals. It all seems doable though. No one needs to lose their life or health and well being, but certain belongings deserve protection especially when it's easy.

geneb: Great! Once I regain access to the files, I'll pack them up and send them to you.

2icebitn: Yeah, safety has been our #1 priority through all this. It was a very hard thought, but I was willing to accept the very real possibility that our house (and numerous valuables contained therein) would be reduced to a mangled pile of ashes.

Thank the heavens it didn't happen, but it's still been hard.

Now that things are settling down, I can start getting back to this project.

Hopefully in the not to distant future, things will begin to return to normal.

c

With the wonderful help of a friend, my server is back online!

Go grab an archive of it ASAP, in case it goes down again!

EDIT: Same address: 209.65.191.189

c

I have a domain now!

http://dosserv.ddns.net/

Hopefully it won't go down quite as often, and I can get a mirror set up.

c