Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bubbled/delaminated screens

I have done this on a HP 2640 and a DEC VR201. With the HP just a 5 by 5 centimeter spot in the middle was keeping the glass to the CRT so it could be removed easily without heating. But the VR201 had just bubbles at the edges so some other method has to be used since I didnít want to heat up the CRT at all.

I researched PVAc and found that it is soluble in various esters. I then bought a bottle of butylacetate and used a syringe for filling inkjet cartridges to inject butylacetate inbetween the glass and the CRT. I sealed everything with some plastic foil for a couple of days and repeated the process. After a week the glass came lose without any force and the remaining glue could be removed easily.

One good thing with butylacetate is that it has quite high boiling temperature. Also it is not harmeful to the health in low concentration. It mostly smell banana or fruity.

And I was wearing face protection and thick clothes when working with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I've only done this once, so maybe was just lucky, but I only needed to use an old hair drier to warm the screen, safety lense and what was left of the bonding adhesive.
    This may be the difference between 12-14" CRTs and the 25" ones the others are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    I researched PVAc and found that it is soluble in various esters. I then bought a bottle of butylacetate and used a syringe for filling inkjet cartridges to inject butylacetate inbetween the glass and the CRT.
    This sounds like a really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MattisLind View Post
    I researched PVAc and found that it is soluble in various esters. I then bought a bottle of butylacetate and used a syringe for filling inkjet cartridges to inject butylacetate inbetween the glass and the CRT.
    Somewhere, there is a description of using Butyl Cellosolve to do this. I wish I could find it again.
    I bought some, then have been scared to try it because of the toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Somewhere, there is a description of using Butyl Cellosolve to do this. I wish I could find it again.
    I bought some, then have been scared to try it because of the toxicity.
    I have no idea what Butyl Cellosolve contain but Butyl acetate seems to be quite non toxic compared to many other solvents as long you stay away from drinking it and work in an area with good ventilation.

https://www.nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb...ts/fs/1329.pdf