Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Older consoles to mess with

Blog Entries

Default Older consoles to mess with

My console playing days ended with the Sega Dreamcast and the XBox (original).

I was wondering how reliable and fun to play are the slightly newer consoles (Xbox 360, Playstation 2 or 3). Seems like you can get games for these super cheap and the consoles are not that expensive but I wonder about reliability. Are those older games still fun to play (single player)?

Any recommendations or things to look out for?
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I think that the PS2 was the last console to feature any unique non-commercialized games. Its where I ended my console playing days after starting on an Atari 2600 in 1990.

By the end of the PS2 era, games have become largely what they are today, which is cash cows for "AAA" publishers and their shareholders. You started to get sequels of sequels and spinoffs of sequels, which ends up where we are today, a games market flooded by unimaginative crap IP which has been around for over a decade. Things that made games fun to play like easter eggs, cheats and hidden levels also went away in favor of having most of the game locked and you have to grind to get stupid achievements to play the full game. I started seeing those types of games on the GBA-SP, which is why it has sat in my games armory almost untouched for a decade.

I would look at the Nintendo 64 and original Playstation, there were quite a few gems on those consoles. My favorites are some of the Duke Nukem series (Zero Hour on N64 and Time to Kill on PS1.) San Fransisco Rush series on N64 was also really good, as well as Crusin' USA/World if you're into racing. Golden Eye and Perfect dark were also really good games, though you'll need the expansion pak (a 4 MB RD-RAM upgrade that plugs into the top of the console) to play the latter and a few other titles like Duke Zero Hour and DK64.

I have a modded Xbox 360 Slim, and I don't have any reliability issues with it. The single player games are pretty good for it, I think, and it plays many Xbox titles just fine.

Of my "somewhat current" consoles (PS2, X360, Dreamcast) it's probably the one that gets the most play.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

The newest one I have is a 3DO FZ-10.
    I have a
    Sega Nomad, and likely a Genesis somewhere
    Atari VCS
    Sears Super Video Arcade
    Intellivision.

And probably some others, but nothing newer and nothing older. Everything post-3DO looks the same to me and if I'm going to play a first-person shooter it may as well be DooM. Most games I play are on the Intellivision, 3DO, Commodore 64, or Apple ][. But really all my game consoles collect a lot of dust.

If you don't have a 3DO, I recommend it. Most people expect 3DO games are like other games from that era and they're just not.

I like my DC the best, but I just play the X360 more (it's convenient, it's 1080p, and I like Portal). I've thought about getting a 3DO or an SNES, though I don't need another game console to waste my time. I have many other ways to waste my time.

But if we're inventorying consoles, there's also a Darth VCS, Sylvania Inty (with Cuttlecart) and Astrocade set up, with Commodore TV Games 2000K and 3000H, a 64GS, an Odyssey 3K and an Atari Ultra Pong Doubles in boxes waiting their turn. And I guess the Tomy Pyuuta Jr. also qualifies.

There's an Atari Lynx and Turbo Express (that needs a recap, it's mute) around here somewhere too.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room updated for 2019!: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Blog Entries

Funny the 3DO seems to have the worst game library from what I read.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Funny the 3DO seems to have the worst game library from what I read.
    The same way all AMCs are junk because the sources are all "Chevy guys." Nobody likes something hardly anyone has.

3DO games (apart from the ports from other systems) are very different. They are sort of a cross between video games and low budget TV shows. There were games that tried to do this for other contemporary systems but they never quite did it the same.

Blog Entries

The PS3 had a surprisingly long life with some very unique games, all of which (including the hardware) are now quite cheap. And since a PS3 can also double as a blu-ray player, netflix player, Amazon prime player, Plex client, and YouTube client (and chromecast destination), it has uses beyond just games. Ours still gets heavy use every day.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Try a cheap PS2. You can get a hard drive controller and put a PATA hard drive in it, then get a HDMI adapter, wireless controllers, and a memory card with Free McBoot. Just about every PS2 game made is available as ISO images on emulator sites. It mainly depends on what type of games you like. Survival horror? PS2. First Person shooter? XBOX 360. Platformer? No clue, don't play them.

My PS2 can't read games... and it's not my original PS2 either... my original one is in the dump because it also could not read games and the controller ports were broken as well.

The systems I have (from oldest to newest)
    Colorsport VIII (a Pong machine clone)
    Atari VCS/2600 (light 4 switch version with woodgrain)
    NES (toaster, needs new 72 pin connector)
    PC-Engine (Japanese version of the TG-16) original white version
    Game Boy (original version does not work)
    Model 1 Genesis (non-HD graphics version)
    Game Gear (screen busted)
    SNES (early version with the discolored plastic case)
    NES (top loader)
    Playstation
    Saturn
    2 Game Boy Pockets
    N64
    Game Boy Color
    PS2
    Game Boy Advance
    Gamecube
    Game Boy Advance SP
    Xbox
    DS
    Xbox 360
    Wii
    3DS

Systems I don't have but want:
    Master System
    Dreamcast (I used to have one but sold it for some stupid reason)
    Atari 7800 (also used to have one but sold it)
    PS3 (for the games I missed out from getting a 360 instead)
    C64 (technically a computer but I want one)
    Switch (Kinda waiting for a later system revisions because of the cracking [the case breaking not the OS hacking].