Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Assigning Value to 5150 Computer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2016 View Post
    Good news is that I have the monitor that was used with the previous troubleshooting.
    Great, exactly what make/model of monitor is it? Can you post a photo of the ports and switches on the back? Such configuration would be different for each model.

You can also connect the CGA composite RCA plug in to any TV that has an RCA composite video input. The video won't look as good as RGB, but it will show that it works.

Hi Everyone,

Well... something happened to the reply I made yesterday. Not sure where it went. Maybe I got logged out about the same time on this forum. (This is the only forum I'm on that has such a narrow window between the time a person logs on and when they are automatically logged off. It's pretty annoying... at least to me.)

The model of the monitor is a Vizio E24i-B1.

Here is a link to the manual for the Visio monitor/television: https://static.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/95944.pdf

And here's a picture of the back of the Vizio: 20181007_125137_resized.jpg

I tried every combination of connections to the monitor using the RCA jack from the port on the video card with no success. I also tried the adapter again. Obviously I'm doing something wrong. I just can't figure out what I might have done previously that would have allowed me to use this monitor that I'm doing differently now.

Thanks again for all of your advice.

Jeff

Blog Entries

Something isn't jiving with this description of events. Is the video card in your system a CGA card or a VGA card? Pull it out and take a few decent pictures (including the back bracket) so we can see.

If you have never changed the video card in this system since you bought it in 1983, it is a CGA card, and you can't hook up any VGA monitor to it, only a very rare few which you do not own. To test such a card, you can hook up the composite output RCA jack on the back of the CGA card to any TV (or the yellow composite RCA input jack on your Vizio monitor) and then see if you get a picture after booting a floppy disk.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Ethernet and USB?!?! I see, that is a modern spy telescreen, I mean "smart tv".

That is an interesting set of inputs. I would sort of expect RCA composite to work, but you would probably need to jump through endless menu options to enable it. It is also likely that if this has been connected to the Internet that it automatically removed or crippled features so you have to buy a new one.

It is interesting that the VGA port is marked as "RGB", but I doubt that adapter went with that set. Around 2003 or so, China lost the super secret high tech formula needed to make plastic in colors other than black.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it's been a couple of days... I have been out of town on business.

I'm glad to say all the suggestions here helped to get the system to display.

I believe that my problem was the cable connecting the RCA jack on the graphics card with the monitor. There also wasn't a color-coded plug on the back of the monitor. There was reference to "Y" on one of the RGB plugs, so I tried it. (I also selected RGB as the input on the TV.) Long story short, it works.

Here's a picture of the screen after booting up:

20181010_164541_resized.jpg

Thanks again for all of your help.

Jeff

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the input.

Now that I know it's operational, I'll go ahead and list it in the sale area here on the forum.

I'm going to start at $300 for the computer, keyboard, CGA card, expansion card, DOS 1.1, DOS 3.1, and the other IBM manuals/documents. (There's also a training course on 5-1/4 floppies that I'll include.) The original packaging for the computer and keyboard will be included. (And if someone is interested, I'll throw in the original sales receipt.)

Thanks again for all of the help.

Jeff