Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intecolor 2400

Blog Entries

eBay?

Unless there's wording to the contrary, the seller pays for return shipping if the item arrives damaged. Further, unless there's wording in the auction to the contrary, the photos represent the item being sold.

But I'd first contact the seller to see if an arrangement can be made.

Blog Entries

The damage doesn't even look like it's due to bad packaging. It looks like a scam to me. But I'd give the seller the benefit of the doubt until everything's settled if it can be.

I don't feel sorry for his shipping cost mistake. Anyone who's been selling on eBay for any amount of time is used to that happening.

Blog Entries

It is ebay, and unfortunately under shipping details for this item it does say the buyer is responsible for return shipping costs.

My attitude when I got his email complaining about the shipping cost was 'well, that's your problem buddy, but i'll see how it arrives and think about it'. If he had done a bang up job I might have been inclined to compensate him. But I know from experience sellers can be quite sloppy, especially for some reason with big items. I got a complete 6800 kit with computer, TVT-II and AC-30 two xmases ago.. the lady selling it just dumped it all in a box... keyboard arrived with 10 keys broken off. Frustrating. I'm not inclined to help someone out if this is how they treat my items.

I don't know if it would cost $90 to ship back to him, I think he was being stubborn about using a certain courier. But if it did, that'd leave me with just over $100 back, unless ebay makes him refund the original shipping.

I'm going to ask for more detailed photos from myUS to see if the keys just popped off or if the stems actually broke. Hopefully the keycaps aren't lost.

Blog Entries

Good luck! These things aren't at all common.

I buy lots of terminals and things with CRT monitors on ebay. I assume that proper packing and shipping costs ~75-100 for anything with a CRT. These Intecolor things are particularly fragile it seems. Lots of stuff with older plastics isn't as sturdy as when it was first manufactured. VT100s have fairly brittle plastics at this point in their lifespan. So whenever I see something with a CRT listed with low shipping (< $50), I always contact the seller ahead of time and make it clear that I'd rather pay more for shipping up front than have it arrive damaged. If it arrives damaged, I give the seller a poor rating. No amount of refunding of shipping fees is going to undo the damage done and vintage stuff isn't replaceable (generally speaking). Even on listings on which I have no intention of bidding, if I see the shipping fees listed too low, I give the seller a heads up on ebay. Heavy SGI machines are also prone to significant damage to the plastic skins if not properly packed and shipped.

Blog Entries

On occasion, I've suggested that if the seller doesn't want to (or doesn't know how to) package this, to drop it off at a packaging/shipping service and allow me to pick up the shipping bill. I tend to use Pak-Mail. Very handy when it involves a palletized unit.