Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tektronix 4051 and 4052 R12 Enhanced Graphics ROM Pack

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Hey Monty,

Could the 'Wiz' have skated all the way over from the Tektronix service manual page edge? I haven't seen that guy since the 70's. Good work and thanks for a 'blast from the past'!

Tom

P.S. Kinda reminds of back in the day when all we had to do late at night was generate Snoopy and Marilyn Monroe calendars with the Varian 620i.
    Tom,

You don't happen to have any old Tektronix monitor output files - do you?

I have a program that converts them to run on the 4051 web emulator - or 4050 computer.

I see an R2-D2 file listed in the 4014 instruction manual - I really need that file

Monty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikola-wan View Post
    Tom,

You don't happen to have any old Tektronix monitor output files - do you?

I have a program that converts them to run on the 4051 web emulator - or 4050 computer.

I see an R2-D2 file listed in the 4014 instruction manual - I really need that file

Monty
    No, sorry I don't. Back in '77 when I retired from the navy I used to work for a instrument lab fixing and calibrating various electronics test equipment for the government. We were more or less an O & R depot for the fleet. I always enjoyed working on Tek products because their documentation was always top shelf.

Tom

P.S. Here's a link to some of their manuals: https://www.tek.com/manual/downloads

I found a FastGraphics4051 tape in Bob Rosenbloom's Collection donated to the Living Computer Museum in Seattle. It had not only the R2D2 picture file but other pictures.

I have uploaded the entire recovered tape to my github archive of Tektronix 4051/4052/4054 programs.

Here is my post in that thread detailing the recovered files - including my conversion to BASIC programs that will run on all Tek 4050 computers and the Tek 4051 web-based emulator:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4052A-4054-4054A-Program-Archives/FastGraphics4051 post

Monty

I recovered two files from another tape - Snowflakes programs from Tekniques Vol 1 No 10

One runs on all 4050 computers - another one requires the R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM Pack and draws them much quicker!

Here is the screenshot:

Snowflakes.jpg

This program was uploaded to archive here:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/4050R12-Graphics-Enhancement-ROM

Monty

I'm really amazed with all these pics, this Tektronix device looks a cool one to work with

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by jltursan View Post
    I'm really amazed with all these pics, this Tektronix device looks a cool one to work with

Thanks for sharing!
    The Tektronix 4050 series computers were amazing! They leveraged their expertise in 4000 series direct-view storage tube terminals for mainframes and minicomputers into stand-alone personal computers in the 1970's.

Since the cost of memory was astronomical in the 1970's - having the tube store the vectors and text with no graphics memory required allowed 1024 x 780 monochrome graphics and text on the smaller 4051 and 4052 screens and an amazing 4096 x 3072 resolution on the monster 19" 4054 storage display.

I got the USAF to purchase the smaller 4051 computer in 1977 for my projects in digital microcomputer design to replace an analog computer - and I was able to design programs to replace mainframe data analysis and Calcomp plotter reports!

I purchased a working 4052 from a medical college in 2000 and a later purchased a non-working 4054 off EBAY in 2000 for $17! The 4054 had a couple of bad 4k bit DRAMs - which I replaced from a local electronics surplus outlet for $1 apiece - and got the 4054 working again

After 18 years and a move to a new house - I repaired the power supply capacitors that had failed in the 4054 and even upgraded it with a board set purchased in 2000 but never installed to a 4054A.

Totally amazing computers! The 4051 was designed around an 800MHz Motorola 6800 with 32KB RAM and 32KB BASIC ROM. Customers demanded more speed and memory, so Tektronix created the 4052 and 4054 design with a custom AMD 2901 bit-slice 16-bit CPU with 128KB memory space including 64KB RAM and 64KB BASIC ROM with 6800 instructions extended for double the memory space and hardware floating point! Super performance for the 1970's!

I'm enjoying recovering the programs from the old 3M QIC tape cartridges - and posting them for posterity.

I helped improve the 4051 Web-Browser Emulator project started by Dave Roberts and Jon B Stanley:

http://www.vcfed.org/Tek-405x-web-browser-emulator

https://github.com/jonbstanley/Tek405xEmulator

Currently Dave is working on emulating the bit-slice processor in the Tektronix 4052/4054 computers.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/Tektronix-4052-emulator

Monty