Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I buy this computer or not?

Dont do it. That machine has done nothing to retain a +$300 value. I see those in the goodwill and tag sales asking $50-$80

thats way too much for a pc that old. You want to drop $300 or more buy an HP Z420 xeon workstation or the like.

^ yeah... that's not the case in Canada.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...VF&ignorebbr=1

This is another candidate, however from all different sources I've looked at, you can't find something this good for a lower price. Usually it's the same or higher.

Don't care too much about the graphics, I am well aware that I will have to upgrade it later no matter what computer I buy.

Guy from Kijiji replied to me, he is coming back Friday afternoon, said he will tell me when he's back so I can come over and test it.Find out more information. Also, while I will look at the general system information, does anyone know a good quick program I could run on it to figure out more specific system information as well?

If his computer fails to impress me. I will get the one off newegg.ca it seems. The total for the new egg one with taxes and shipping is $440.68. so I'd need to wait until the 31st to buy it, but, it shouldn't be a problem to buy.

EDIT: As long as the processor's good, I will go with the local guy's because from my research a 2tb hard drive is not that expensive, so if I wanted to it wouldn't be a problem to put in a 2tb drive later if I wanted.

EDIT 2: seems like even refurbished i7's cost the same, if not more than the computer itself. Luckily as someone explained, if I get a quadcore i5, no need to get an i7.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; July 24th, 2018 at 01:29 PM.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

That seems high, at least in my area. I resell off-lease machines, and I doubt I could get $200-250 for that easily. It's 4th-gen, so over 5 years old.

^ Things are generally more expensive in Canada, even after adjusting for the Canadian dollar.
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

This is surprising. I guess I just assumed technologically speaking Canada was on par with the US.

^ we are. I just don't expect to get a brand new system in my budget. But we also do have extremely high celluar bills too. Canadians are ripped off on a lot of things.

EDIT: yeah, just checked another source, no difference in pricing. It seems like new egg has a lot of those machines I am looking at, so if the local guy's doesn't impress me I should be able to order one before things run out.
    Last edited by ScanDisk; July 24th, 2018 at 07:44 PM.