Image Map Image Map

Thread: Is this a good idea: soldering on a 2x AA battery holder (non-parallel) to a mobo?

Default Is this a good idea: soldering on a 2x AA battery holder (non-parallel) to a mobo?

Can this be done, or is it a horrible idea? My Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus had a BR1225 battery soldered on, which I have removed, and currently have an external 2x AA battery holder hooked up using the jumper header (thank goodness for that). The down side is, the system takes a while to show the screen (about 10 seconds). The plus side, if the batteries leaked, it won't damage the board, and the system keeps the settings.

My question is: can this be done? I know the BR1225 is a standard lithium battery, which is I can find on Digikey (love that site), but, there's no battery holder that has 2 through-hole soldering tabs or one that's 12.5mm in length.

Blog Entries

Have you seen these?

Those are 12mm, and the 12mm CR1225's aren't being sold anymore, except for BR1225, which is 12.5mm, unfortunately. Thanks, though.

Blog Entries

External battery holder is what I use.

Which battery backup method you use should have no effect on startup times, it's only there to retain CMOS settings and the clock.
    WTB: IBM RT Parts and Accessories, and AOS.
    Twitter / Discord / YouTube / Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by retro-pc_user View Post
    Those are 12mm, and the 12mm CR1225's aren't being sold anymore, except for BR1225, which is 12.5mm, unfortunately. Thanks, though.
    You might go with a smaller diameter cell.
    Anytime you connect a non-rechargeable cell, make sure the MB isn't charging it. If it is, it will fail and leak a lot sooner. In some cases, it means removing the the charging resistor.
    Dwight

You can still get CR1225s on Amazon though..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797R1X3M

Blog Entries

Or a BR1216, which is 12mm. The current drain hardly matters--it's in the microamp range.