Image Map Image Map

Thread: Shinobi Disk with no executable?

1. Default Shinobi Disk with no executable?

I got a Sega Shinobi disk off eBay and it has no bloody executable on it!

It has 3 files on it, two of which i assume are compressed since this is a 5.25 DD disk and a copy I downloaded has a total filesize of about 600k

SHINO1.TZF
    SHINO2.TZF
    DI6.QPZ

The MS-DOS label is "SEGA HITS", but the sticker says Shinobi, MS-DOS. Its not a booter, and the disk seems free from errors.

I'm wondering if this is from some compilation and I need the first disk to extract it? Any ideas?
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TL3/RLHD, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for a 1000TX mobo, EX/HX Serial / Parallel cards, and that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

Blog Entries

You're 100% correct: It was a part of the Arcade Smash Hits Compilation, and the installation program is on another disk. You have a few options:

1. Try to get the other disks in the compilation to find the installation program
    2. Use the copy you downloaded
    3. Reformat the disk and use it for something else, as the DOS version of Shinobi is very disappointing

A long time ago I copied this, but I have no idea if I kept the copied disks or not. The individual games in the collection are easy enough to find individually on the 'net.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

If you have a Genesis just get it for that. PC versions of Sega arcade games tended to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    If you have a Genesis just get it for that. PC versions of Sega arcade games tended to be bad.
    While generally true, Panzer Dragoon and House/Typing of the Dead were great ports.

Quote Originally Posted by liqmat View Post
    While generally true, Panzer Dragoon and House/Typing of the Dead were great ports.
    I mean more the late 80s and early 90s ports.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    It was a part of the Arcade Smash Hits Compilation, and the installation program is on another disk.
    Ah! Thanks for clearing that up! I was going to try to put a download of the game on the disk but itís obviously too big in its uncompressed form. Maybe I could use a bat file & self extracting archive to fake my own installer that will fit.

Yeah I know this port is trash. Sometimes itís fun to play a crap game just for camp appeal. But yeah... this one is so painful. I think Iíll force my kids to play it for a laugh.
    Tandy 1000EX/SX/HX/TL3/RLHD, Tandy 2500SX-MultiMedia/SX-33, Coco 1, Coco 3, TRS-80 4p

Looking for a 1000TX mobo, EX/HX Serial / Parallel cards, and that little tab from the upper right corner of a Tandy keyboard that holds the function key labels in place

You should install the Shinobi disk from Alien Syndrom disk by INSTALL.EXE.

Sega Arcade Hits consist the following.

After Bunner --> 2ea of 5.25" 360KB disks.
    Alien Syndrome --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk with INSTALL.EXE
    Out Run --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk
    Shinobi --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk
    Thunder Blade --> 1ea of 5.25" 360KB disk